𝐩𝐫𝗼𝐥𝗼𝐠𝐮𝐞 𝐢

𝐄𝐋𝐄𝐕𝐄𝐍 𝐘𝐄𝐀𝐑𝐒 𝐀𝐆𝐎

this was astrid's second day in orlando. she spent her whole life, born and raised, in florida but now she was over an hour away from the only city she's ever lived in.

after her dad got a job offer here in orlando, her parents decided it would be better for the family. so they moved from gainesville to orlando in the span of two weeks.

astrid was only nine so it wasn't the worst experience of her life. yeah she'd have to make new friends and leave her childhood bedroom, but she was kind of excited for a change.

her dad had taken her to the park in hopes that she'd befriend another kid there. it was the most he could do after making her move away.

so, there she was watching the other kids run around the playground as she sat slowly swaying on the swing. a boy she assumed was around her age sat on the one next to her. as he slowly stopped swinging, he turned and looked at her. "i've never seen you here before, are you new?"

"yeah i just moved here yesterday."

"oh, hi! my name's clay."

"hello clay, i'm astrid."

"that's a cool name! wanna play tag with me and my friends?"

"sure!"

and so they played tag for almost an hour til some of the other kids had to go. astrid scanned the playground for her dad and found him talking to some other parents.

"hey! wanna go play in the sandbox?" clay asked standing not too far from astrid.

she took his hand and dragged him to the sandbox with her. they spent the next hour playing in the sand and talking about school stories and trips. they found out they'd be going to the same school and that clay was only a few months older than astrid.

"clay!" he heard his mom call. they stood up and walked over to his parents, where astrid's dad was also standing. apparently astrid wasn't the only one who made new friends.

"whos this sweetie?" clay's mom asked.

"oh! this is astrid, she's my new friend."

"why hello astrid, your dad has said great things about you."

she giggled, "hi"

"would you like to join us for some ice cream? if your dad's okay with it."

she looked up at her dad with hopeful eyes. "it's fine with me."

clay and astrid jumped in excitement as their parents exchanged numbers and explained that clay's mom would be dropping her off at home.

"alright kids let's go"

that trip to the ice cream shop was just the start of their friendship.

author's note
this takes place when astrid is 9 and clay is 10 :)
also next prologue will take place 3 years later