𝐭𝐰𝐞𝐧𝐭𝐲 𝐭𝐰𝐨

the pair laughed as they walked down the street. it was dark out, but the city's lights illuminated the streets around them. astrid had a great time seeing her friends today and she couldn't thank harlow enough for how much fun she'd been having lately.

she was a little skeptical of coming to the city since her parents lived around here, but harlow convinced her to come. they had just finished eating at their favorite burger place as teens.

now, they were walking back to the car a few blocks down. astrid had been paranoid the whole time, not wanting to come in contact with her parents.

i guess life isn't fair though. she physically cringed as they reached a fancy restaurant her parents loved to go to, and them right outside in formal attire.

she elbowed harlow who quickly became aware of the situation. they both picked up their pace, astrid walking with her head down.

astrid sighed in relief once they finally passed their parents, but that quickly changed when her mom spoke. "you're not going to say hi to your parents, astrid?"

harlow cringed at the statement not wanting to look back at the pair. astrid simply turner around, putting on a slight smile. "if i wanted to, i would've."

her dad furrowed his eyebrows, "that's no way to talk to your mother."

"you mean the one that kicked me out of my home? i'd hardly call that a mother." she replied.

"you were making a mistake. a silly boy from your childhood is not worth moving to the other side of the country for!" her mother argued.

"i kept a promise. and he wasn't just some silly boy from my childhood, he was my best friend who you took me away from!" her voice raised to match her mother's.

"not all promises are meant to be kept, astrid."

"like you're promise to protect me and always keep me safe? kicking me out kind of breaks that promise, you know." astrid deadpanned.

this time, her father spoke. "we were just trying to show you that you were making a mistake."

"you act like i didn't have a plan. i was gonna go to school, i knew what i was gonna study. you only pay my tuition because you feel bad for what you did!" god was she tired.

"we pay for it because we know you can't and because we love you. yes, we made a mistake but it was out of love!" her mother replied.

astrid scoffed. "kicking someone out isn't an act of love, let alone your own daughter."

harlow noticed the change in astrid's tone, placing a comforting hand on her shoulder. she whispered in her ear, "let's go."

they turned away and walked to the car, harlow's arm over astrid's shoulder as tears escaped her eyes. she'd had enough.

author's note
i just wanted to get this chapter over with because i've been dreading it LMAO. next chapter is gonna be a long one and this one kinda sucked sorry lol.
anyways, got a plane to catch in six hours and the airport is two hours away, bye!