Chapter 19: somethings never change.

When onyx travelled through the portal, it shut behind her and it didn't reopen. "onyx, what are you doing here?" jasper asked, being clueless about the situation. They heard a sound and she hid them behind the building hey had landed in. "what's going on, is it the bootlegs?" "no. this is something more dangerous." Onyx tried to explain as she pulled them both up to the top of the buildings. "what's going on? Why don't we just go into the citadel?" jasper asked, and onyx found a safe spot for them to hide in. "my powers have a mind of their own and now where back intime. I don't know when we are, but I do know we need to be extremely careful." Onyx explained as she pulled her hood up to hide her hair and skin. She also hid her hands in her pockets on the hoodie. "wait. You can time travel?" jasper asked confused. "not by my own free will. I'm taken through town whenever this thing like's." onyx explained.

"so what are we doing here?" jasper asked. "I don't know, you were going to be sent back here on your own. Usually it points me towards where I need to go. But this time, there isn't anything from it. we're going in blind and we need to figure out where we need to go." Then she thought about hat they were doing. "do you remember something that was always seemed off?" onyx asked. Jasper placed her hand on her chin, and she thought about it. "some people showed me footage of me with my sister and somebody who's identity was hidden. in the park when I was back at the army base with too many witnesses for it to be correct. We considered it to have been timed wrong, but if we're back here..." jasper pondered. Onyx tried to run but she couldn't even jump high by this point. "looks like we're walking." Onyx stated as they left the small back ally. She kept her hood up and kept her head down while jasper trailed behind her.

When they arrived at the park, they got started on looking around. Onyx kept her hood up as they looked around for something when they heard someone approaching them. Onyx was able to hide in a bush while jasper was to slow to be able to intime. "jasper is that you?" the person asked from behind jasper. She turned around to see that it was her sister. "hay Alex. What are you doing here?" she asked as she tried to lean against a tree, and she failed. She fell to the floor and Alex helped her back to her feet. "are you ok?" Alex asked having the same innocent smile she always had. "yeah, I just wasn't expecting to see you here?" jasper explained. "well, I'm just taking the last walk I can for a while, since coal and I have decided to have another child." Jasper knew now that they were before onyx's birth but after diamond's. "how old is diamond now, anyway?" jasper asked trying to get a more direct date. "he's 6. He misses you; I miss you." Alex responded as she placed her hand on jasper's shoulder. I was actually on my way to the citadel to see you again." Jasper explained, feeling terrible about lying to her dead sister.

Meanwhile onyx was listing in and she was able to figure out that she was going to be connived very soon. She continued to listen in as they talked someone, and she listened in to how jasper would try and work her way out of the issue. "I know you joined the military and all, but you won't come and see us." Alex said as she sat down on the floor. Onyx was able to realise that she took that from her mom as she sat down herself. "it's because of coal. You know I don't like him." Jasper retaliated. "I know but you could at least attempt to be an adult about it. jasper looked into the bushes behind Alex and onyx used her eyes to signify to go with Alex. "you're right. Let's go." Jasper responded and the pair walked off.

Onyx slowly panicked to herself as she didn't know what was going on. The core then took over her body and it took off at the fastest speed it physically could. It managed to get into the Atlantic kingdom, and it snuck its way into the castle whereat arrived in the room hidden in the library. Onyx was forced to focus on what her body was doing rather than doing anything else. She watched as it looked around the room for something. Meanwhile jasper was finally taken back to the rest of her living family.

The tension in the room between her and coal was thick enough to cut with a knife. "so how've you been?" coal asked as he started to cut into his steak. Jasper just sat there as she had to keep back all of her rage for everything that coal as done, not just what he had done since he went and tried to take over the citadel. After he resurfaced jasper did some investigation and she found out that he had been with topaz in a secret in a branch of the military that old king gold hid from her. Young diamond was clueless as to what was going on and Alex could feel the tension on her shoulders. "so how about you tell us about what's in been like in the military?" Alex asked trying to calm down her older sister. "I'd rather not." Jasper responded as she cut through the steak in one slash. The young diamond was finally starting to catch on to what was going on. After a few more minutes of tension filled silence, jasper decided that he'd had enough. "I'm sorry Alex I've tried. But I can't do this." she announced as she got up. "it was nice seeing you again." She said as she knelt down and ruffled diamonds hair. He fixed up the hair and asked if it was his fault. "no. don't worry about it. you'll see me again." Jasper explained as she walked out of the room.

After taking the crystal the core dug a hole in the park and it dropped the crystal in the hole, after chipping a bit of it off for onyx. It then led her to the park and the same bush where she was hidden before. "what did I do wrong?" Alex asked as she cached up to her older sister. "you haven't done anything wrong. I just can't stand him." Jasper explained. Onyx took some time to gain her bearings and listened into the conversation. "why, you never even attempted to try to understand him." Alex asked being concerned that she was going to lose the last of her family. "listen. he's done things I can't explain." "why not?" before jasper even had the chance to answer the core forced onyx to write something down and then it forced her out of the bush.

Alex walked over to her and asked if she was ok. Alex didn't notice the grey skin or hair as onyx still had her hood up and she had tried to catch herself mid fall. Onyx looked at what was wrote and she realised that she had to follow the advice of the core. "I'm ok. I just didn't think I'd see you again." Onyx explained as she got up and pulled down her hood. She knew she had to be honest but not to honest. "I don't think I've met you. Who are you?" Alex asked felling unconfutable about the whole situation. "jasper we can be honest. Can you tell her for me? I don't think I can." Onyx asked as she started to try and hide her face. "jasper, you know who this is?" Alex asked. "this is your daughter from the future." She explained.

"how do you know that?" Alex asked being more confused than before. "I know because I'm also from the future. About 16 years into the future." Jasper explained. Alex looked her in the eyes, and she could tell that her sister wasn't lying. "how... and why is she grey?" "they correlate. You see, in my time I manage to obtain two cores and I've been using them to help out as many people as I can." Onyx explained as she levitated a branch in the grey glow, realising how much easier it had become since the first time she tried. Alex sat down on a log and tried to grasp what she could about what he had heard. "so you're from the future. What are you doing back in time?" Alex asked her future daughter.

"I'm here to keep the timeline straight. This is the second time this has happened." Onyx explained as she sat down next to Alex. "I know it's a lot to take in but..." jasper tried to comfort Alex, but Alex was worrying for a different reason. "when do I die?" "what are you talking about?" onyx asked not realising that her mom was listening the entire time. "you said you didn't expect me to meet me again. When do I die?" she asked. Onyx waited for the core to respond and it wrote something in the dirt next to her. It told her to be honest and onyx was. "in just under 10 months." Onyx explained not being able to look Alex in the eyes. "I die in childbirth, don't I?" "yeah. I never got to give a proper goodbye and I's been eating me up inside for the past 16 years." Jasper explained, feeling more uncomfortable than she was when in the war.

"I had better prepare myself then. I want to live the rest of my life to the fullest." Onyx looked uncomfortable. "are you Shure you still want to go through with my birth?" onyx asked holding her arm and pulling her hood up. "I might never get to know you well, but I can tell you're a wonderful person and I wish could meet you without timeline being threatened." Alex joked as she crouched down and hugged onyx tight. Onyx started to feel the tears roll down her face and she embraced her emotions. She entered her heightened state, but the core seemed to block any powers from being emitted. Alex started to cry, and jasper felt awkward and left out.

Alex turned her attention towards jasper, and she walked over and hugged jasper. "thank you for coming back to see me. I'm going to miss you." Alex said and jasper responded with "not as much as I miss you." The two laughed with tears of joy and sadness. The core then wrote that it was time to leave and they said their finally goodbyes.