Chapter 29 - not just a game

it took a few minutes for their eyes to adjust to the darkened sky yet lighter signs of the city. "are you all right onyx?" copper asked as his eyes where still adjusting. "I'm getting to use to this." onyx responded as it only took a few seconds for her eyes to adjust. She looked around the city and one this that stood out was just how many video games their where. "what is this place?" copper asked. "I don't know but I don't know if I can pull myself away." She said pulling her console out of her backpack. "did you have to bring that?" "you really don't know me. Yes, I had to bring it, however these games look to be a few generations behind." Onyx explained.

Copper looked up at one of the many TV screens and saw something advertised. "the insertion ray gun. I wonder if that's what the one here is after?" copper asked himself. "I knew you couldn't just stay away from this. go back home, your no contest for me." Zirconia said stepping out of the shadows, that shouldn't have existed. "all right well, shadow guy, do you even know how to play a video game?" onyx asked. "of course I do, what do you take me for." "fine then, you and me. Let's have a competition. And since the only game I have on me is needle mouse discovery, it looks like where playing that." Onyx responded. "or how about we just take the ray guy and get out of here." Copper suggested. "if I want to ever come back here, that's not an option. So bro, do we have a deal?" "yes we do. But where going to go in there to play it. a place where everybody can see me take you down." Onyx then walked back over to copper. "while I've got this guy distracted, you need go and grab the ray gun." Onyx whispered to him.

"do you need me to make the dock for the thing." "no I've got this." onyx responded as copper handed her the backpack. "do we have any new competitors?" the man directing the whole crowd. "we are. Now if you don't mind." He said forcing his way past the announcer and he placed the console into the dock, and he plugged the cords in. "sorry about him. He can be grumpy when he's about to be owned." Onyx said taking one of the controllers "so then, who are you going to pick?" onyx asked as zirconia picked the armadillo. "that is the worst choice you could have picked." Onyx said picking the classic needle mouse. Onyx got a call on her phone and she took it while playing. "what's up?" "it's not here, someone else took it." onyx then looked at zirconia who pulled the ray gun out. "get down here, now." Onyx said as she was shot with it and when copper arrived, he was shot. The crowed where more curious then scared as zirconia then shot himself into the game.

"where are we?" copper asked noting his backpack had been taken with them and that it was suck in a helicopter mode. "from the green hills with loops, the palm trees and the sunflowers that move at 4 frames a second, were in greener hills zone." Onyx explained. "he shot us in here, but then, where is he?" copper asked. "where in the main game, he probably took the place of Dreads the echidna. Which would mean that I'm needle mouse and your miles the fox." "that explains nothing." Copper responded. "it means you can fly for a short while and spin through like I can, and I now have the drop down dash." Onyx explained as she got ready to roll around at the speed of sound. It took some time, but copper adapted.

After going through chemical plants, studios, flying fortresses, frozen newspaper plants, they came to the star light speedway. "these platforming stages are terrible when you have to go through them yourself." Cooper said taking a moment to rest. "time's not up yet, especially since where in the past and to get out we need to get to the end of the stage." Onyx explained. "all right let's do this." copper said getting back in the air. After running through the tubes and making it through the confusing stage they reached the firefly bosses and they defeated the boss, they hit the "future" signpost and they were shot to the present. After making it through the large stage with fireworks and music they could here faintly but onyx was still enjoying, they got to the boss. "all right, if I remember correctly, we should be coming across robo needle mouse." Onyx explained when zirconia came out of nowhere. "no it's finally time for us to fight. Although I don't know why I'm here?" he stated. "onyx facepalmed in all of her 16 bit glory. "you're taking the place of the fake version of a character. Even the game is telling you are a fake." Onyx explained.

The race stated and copper couldn't keep up with the two speed demons, so he tried to find a way out. Running through loops and up walls, they were coming neck on neck when the death laser started. "you've got to be kidding me." Onyx said speeding up. "you ready to die?" zirconia taunted. "you wish." Onyx responded doing a drop down dash and narrowly winning the race as zirconia slammed into the door that just fell. They then fell out of the game. Onyx had tried to call Gwen, when she couldn't find zirconia after the third stage, but the signal wouldn't go through. She explained the situation to Gwen, and she tried to get away when zirconia snuck up on them. "you forget something?" he asked showing off the techno insertion ray gun. "no." onyx responded swiping the ray gun and grabbing coppers hand. She ran them both to the dimensional week point where she opened the portal for the citadel, she pushed copper through and she opened the portal back to 1A and she tried to go through it but zirconia pushed her through the barely opened portal back to the citadel.

"I won't let you best me again." He exclaimed as onyx and himself exited in the park. "I already did." She remarked as she ran off. She ran it to the rest of the group who were still waiting for her to return. "where did you go?" copper asked. "to keep the timeline going and now I'm opining a portal for the back up." She explained as she opened the portal. On the other end was the C and D team and they stepped through. "nice to see you again guys." Onyx said giving a thumbs up. "let's just get this over and done with." Ted said moving past her and bumping her on the shoulder. "so what's the plan?" Gwen asked. "it's going to be complicated and I'm going to need everybody to trust me, but it will work." Onyx announced. "well let's hear it." copper asked of onyx. She smiled and started to explain the plan she had.