Chapter Two

I will never forget to call Anne after I wake up. Nothing is more satisfying than hearing goodmornings and I love yous from her. The serotonin her voice gives me, is enough to make my day worth giving a try. I don't need coffee or anything like that to keep me up and going. I just need her. No one else.

The alarm goes off for the forth time. It's like the original alarm, I have to really get up this time or else I'll be late for school. Fucking school... Sometimes I forget I'm still studying because of the amount of time I spent skipping classes last year. I hope to not bring that habit in this new town. For once, I actually want to graduate just because I want school over with and done. Get that piece of paper on the stage and...I guess I still don't have a plan after that.

It's been a week since we moved in, in our new house. In the afternoon, before the sunsets, I do a little jog around our area. To familiarize myself with the streets and direction I have to take when I go home from school. It's nearby and totally walkable. I don't have to snatch a ride from my family who leaves really early.

When I got out of the shower, I went to my closet and picked an outfit. Just a denim jacket, and black all the way down. Simple and effortless way to look good. I always go for 1-3 colors only. And I left brown hair flow their own ways.

Down stairs I don't see my family anywhere. They probably already left. Good thing they saved me two stacks of pancakes, I'm starving as fuck. I don't get people who leave their houses with an empty stomach. Like how do they function properly? It's an unsolved mystery.

-

The halls are packing as always with these greasy teenagers in my way. I have yet to find my first class. It says here in my schedule it's room 209, so it's probably near here, I'm standing at my last class, room 205.

Right across me, I see a short haired lady leaning on the wall with her cat like eyes on me. Maybe I should ask her for directions... She looks intimidating though, but friendly at the same time... Whatever, I'm skipping her, she's too confusing.

I manage to find the room with 5 minutes to spare. I asked a group of students for direction and they just pointed it out for me. Turns out it's a bit far from where I was.

I went inside and immediately took a sit at the third to the last row. At the very back it's too noisy, and at front it's too brainy. So Mid row it is.

My phone beeped and a notification from Anne popped up.

"Hey babe, you in your first class??"

"Yeah, I just got here."

"Good job on not skipping. Making progress there."

"Thanks, are you proud?" I texted but she takes so long to reply. "Ttyl the teacher's here."

I closed my phone when a male teacher entered the front door. He brought a projector and a laptop with him, I already know this morning is going to be boring as hell! Except hell's probably not that boring since I imagine there's gonna be lava fountains and, exploding volcano's everywhere.

We introduced ourselves, you know, usual stuffs you do in the first day then we jumped to discussing lessons. No one is interesting in this class so I just scribble stars at the back of my notebook to appear as though I'm actually listening and taking notes.

There's a limit in my brain, I could only take few infos then I'm done for. My mind is like stamina, it needs to be build up step by step. Force it, and it'll have a bad effect on me.

The class ended painfully slow. I didn't eat at the cafeteria, that would be awkward I would be sitting all alone. Speaking of that, I should've tried and made friends today. Is it too late for that, I mean it's my last year, so it's kind of pointless not to be seeing them after. Hmmm... I'll try next time.

-

I was off to my next and last class, it was at room 205, the one I was standing in front of, this morning. So I saved a lot of time now. I entered the room immediately realizing I was the only one in here, or so I thought.

I took a sit at the middle row with my backpack sitting on my lap. The lady this morning, she's sitting at the teacher's table. Which means she's our teacher, right? Of course, captain obvious she is... See what forcing my brain does to me? It makes me even dumber.

But she's so... young.

She was minding her own business, didn't even see me come in because she was grading papers of sorts. Is she serious? Test on the first day? Now I've really come to hate this school.

"You're new here," She said with a feminine soft tone. It didn't come out as a question, more like she stated. Talk about intimidating.

I cleared my throat, "Yes ma'am," I nodded.

She finally looked up to me, her glasses hindered me from seeing her eyes all the way through, the eyes I saw on the hall this morning.

"We're barely taking in transferees these days..." She frowned. "Although, it is nice to get to have one in my class ," The sadness in her face was washed away and was replaced by comfort.

We stayed in silence as she got back to grading her papers. And I turned on my phone to play solitaire while other students came in taking vacant seats with their loud ways of doing it. What a sudden change in atmosphere.

I still don't know the name of the teacher, and she stood up and did just as what I wondered. She wrote her name on the board and encircled it making it so clear.

Karlene Miller,

Or Ms. Miller for short and it's what she prefer to be called. She's not new to this school, it was me. I was the transferee and it kind of sucks they might already knew her and I was too shy to ask questions when she requested us to ask something about herself. But whatever, what's the point of getting to know your teacher?