Chapter Twelve

"Good luck on your exams babe! You can ace it."

"You think so? I-I don't know, I might have missed a few terms." Anne's chem exam is scheduled this morning. I can feel her panicking over the phone while she flips her text book's pages aggressively.

"Of course I think so! And don't worry, after that exam is over, you'll see me tomorrow. Cool?"

"Uh-hm," She mumbles. The pressure on her right now must be heavy. She carries her parents' and school's high expectations. A single failed paper could send her into shambles. I always remind her to take it easy once in a while because I know how she stresses even the smallest mistakes she makes. Her environment isn't healthy. All the standard's she's forced into. So I want to be her resting place, her safe place that she could vent out whenever she needed to.

"I'm nervous," She said.

"It's going to be okay, trust me."

"I-it's just that, I've been screwing around lately with you and that distracts me with my studies. Like right now, I'm suppose to be reading my text book and my notes but here I am talking to you. Don't get me wrong babe, I love us, but sometimes I just feel like I'm slacking off..."

I will try my best to understand her. We both have different worlds outside ours. Problems of our own, that seems like it's easy for me, but is hard for her and easy for her, but hard for me. I need to support her because she's been really open about herself to me and somehow I feel responsible if she's ever down. It's tough to resolve a problem all on your own. I know she'll be there at my downfalls too, she has been there before.

"I'm at school babe. Call you later when the exams is over?"

"Please call... I can't leave you overthinking."

She hung up after I heard a loud car engine roaring at her back. Must be her friend, I remember her telling me about him.

I'm standing at my bedroom's front door pacing back and fort. I'm still wearing my pajamas, haven't taken a shower, but I did brush my teeth already. Mom and Dad is moving down stairs and I eavesdropped on them. They're bashing Evan for getting up late again. Little did they know, the rat isn't here.

With my stealth mode on, I moved like a ninja to sneak my way to my brother's room. There, I'll start the fake alibi.

"No! I'm not covering for you again!" I shouted, making sure I was heard by my parents downstairs. This is cringe. Not doing this again, ever. "I'll tell mom and dad about this. You are grounded. I'm not keeping up with your shit anymore!"

Dad noticed me shouting. He called out what's wrong, then I got out of Evan's room and faced my parents who are peacefully having breakfast. Mom is on the dining table and dad is on the living room switching the radio station from the news to his favorite friday special 70s song hits. They are about to witness a great scene to tear apart their goodmorning.

"Sweetheart what's going on?" Mom said.

"Evan's suspended from school, and I don't know why, he won't tell me! That delinquent needs to be taught, you just can't let this pass."

I almost dropped the act when mom dropped her toast. From their point of view, Evan is this friendly (which he is btw) angel, (not sure of this one tho), incapable of even hurting a fly. I damaged the rat's reputation, for a good cause, of course. If I tell them the truth, it will be way worse.

"Honey..." Mom refered to Dad. Either she doesn't believe me, or she doesn't want to be bothered this early in the morning.

"I'll talk to your brother. Where is he?" Dad rose up from his recliner chair. He wore a bitter expression as he climbled on the stairs but I was quick enough to block his way.