Chapter Twenty-Two

He had been calling me again. Call after call, text messages flooded my inbox. Something was pinning me down, it didn't allow me to block his number. I was afraid that if I ended everything with this man, I wouldn't have anyone to love and no one to love me back.

I didn't believe a person can live by themselves. There has to be another half out there that would complete you as a whole. And in his arms I felt what I've been yearning to feel. I just want to be loved, well guess what? He showed me all of those.

Life detest me so much I have to beg affection from that man.

"What are you thinking?" This student of mine asked. She had her chin buried on her bag that sat on her lap. Her hair up in a ponytail. She wore a colorful dotted sleeveless blouse, more feminine than what she usually wears.

"I'm thinking about you," I said then watched as her cheeks flushed red. Didn't expect that reaction. "About you always staying after my class even though you don't talk about the lesson," I added.

"Oh that," she grinned then scratched her head. "I'm just chilling in here, it's hot outside, and I don't wanna go home yet."

"Who gave you the permission to stay in my class longer than you should?" I raised my brow hoping that would at least scare her.

"C'mon Ms. Miller," She instead rolled her eyes. "Just pretend I'm not here. Go do your thing."

I squinted my eyes at her.

"Go on, don't be shy," she gave me a mischievous grin then shooed my eyes away from her.

I couldn't believe she was hanging around my classroom just to cool off... Well whatever, I kind of feel bad forcing her this morning. My intentions came off unclear and it looked like I was just bothering her. I want to apologize for reading her phone. She did ask personal questions, so why was it wrong when I do? That was unfair, I want to know her as well.

My phone rang. I immediately turned it off the moment it did. I caught her glanced at it for a split second, then she looked at me.

"Who's that?" She asked.

I shrugged. "Dunno."

"Aren't you gonna answer? The person's been calling nonstop-"

"I thought you want me to pretend that you're not here," I tried to change the topic.

"W-well this is different. It could be an emergency, right?"

She was definitely mocking me. Why does she want to know who it was in the first place? "I'll tell you, if you tell me yours," I said the words that came out of my magnificent mind. This is a huge deal, a huge, useless, piece of shit deal.

"Okay. I'll tell you who's my caller," Ellie lifted her backpack and transfered it to a seat next to hers. She now sat comfortably on her armchair, her head rested on her fist. "Where do you want me to start?"

I put down my pen. Took off my glasses then leaned on my desk. "You decide."

"Her name is Aniyah Walsh. Anne for short, bae if I want it shorter." She wiggled her brows, then inspected my face to see my reaction.

So she's a...?? Those people who are attracted to their same gender. Don't get me wrong, I don't have any problem with it. I think it's great that people are slowly becoming comfortable in expressing themselves.

"So you're a..."

"A lesbian, yes that's right. And Anne, she's my girlfriend."

"Oh. That's...interesting."

But she's so feminine... I mean, often times lesbians are masculine, right? Maybe, I'm not that familiar with the names though...

"Did I scare you?"

"No," I chuckled. "Nothing's going to happen, what's there to be scared of?"

"True. And, you're not really my type. There's nothing to be worried about," she said, arrogance wrapped around her cheeky self.

I want to throw a blackboard eraser at her face to wipe of that face she's making. "Well I don't date kids, so that makes us even."

"Pfft~" she rolled her eyes. "How old are you then?"

"Twenty-four."

"God, you are old. How were the dinosaurs?"

"They were nice...specially Jimmy, he's a Velociraptor. I still visit him in the museum though, you know, to talk to his bones." I played along. "How about you, who won the sperm race?"

She retreated her head back. Didn't expect me to not take it seriously, she nodded in defeat running out of words to say. I got back to the essay I was reading, but then she returned her gaze back to me. She's stifling a laugh, I wonder what she's thinking.

"Well, at least I have a love life."

Really? Does she really have to get personal? My mind blacked out for a minute there. Ellie poked fun of me, made funny and crying faces as if I'm so so poor, so lowly. Urghh who cares if I'm single? It just means I'm an independent woman, I don't need no man.

"No, you think I care? I don't care," I said.

"Sure Jan."

She's annoying. Why won't she believe me?

It was half an hour in after my class ended. All of this was new, having someone stay behind, and having someone to talk to. My life wasn't the most exciting. I mostly go out with a bunch of people, but always end up going home alone. But Ellie, she was not the same as them... Maybe it was just for now. Maybe...

Her phone beeped, she looked over at it then slowly stood up without her eyes leaving her phone.

As expected.

"I'm sorry Ms. Miller, your mystery caller might have to wait for next time."

"Where are you going?"

"I need to prepare a little surprise for my girlfriend, it's our monthsary tomorrow. Been saving a lot on a necklace she really wants, wish me luck~ I wish she'll like it."

I half smiled then nodded. "Good luck."

She smiled back. Her eyes lost themselves on her eyelids, and her lips stretched brightly on her face. "I'm so excited!!" She bolted out of the room and left a pen on her desk.

That shows she really is excited huh? I'm kind of jealous...

Then just like that, the room's front door closed. Like an unseen wind blew her away, leaving me with just the ringing sound of silence. I was taken back to where I belong. Now the room is wider than usual, more room for my thoughts to be... reckless.

I do miss her, wish she could've stayed longer. You never really know how much it matters until it's gone.