Chapter Thirty-Eight

"She deserves that," Art said, point blank period and said nothing else but to oppose my idea. "After ghosting you like that? Yeah, definitely, I don't even have to ask for your opinion."

Art has been drilling it to my face since I got to school. I get where his frustrations were coming from, I was really hardheaded to think that I needed to go after her. But could anyone blame me for aching to hear her voice again? Her face from afar was a teaser, and I couldn't leave with just that.

It was lunch time, we sat at the cafeteria at a table that was always reserved for us. It only had two seats, and well, students in this school seemed to have wide friend groups, so it was perfect for the two of us. We hadn't plan on expanding it yet (hopefully soon) like come on, it was already a pain dealing with Art's dramatic ass.

"But I feel like I should go after..." I whined. She could've let me explain my side rather than escaping away.  "Give me reasons why I shouldn't."

I thought I forgot about her, but all the progress I was making was flushed away in an instant the moment I saw her eyes at the restaurant.

Art rolled his eyes and I get it, I get it again, okay I'm little stubborn about wanting to have closure, but deep down I question myself if I really want to end it all with that... Honestly, I want us to go back to normal, why can't we go back to how we used to be?

"Listen, first of all, she knows where you live, she could visit you anytime she wants but guess what? She doesn't. Second of all, God... I don't even know how to say this..."

"No, say it please." I gave him a puppy eye, I was begging for his advice because now, I didn't feel like I could trust myself.

"Is that all you wanted to do, to chase person who doesn't want to be chased at all? If she really wants to see you again like you want to see her, she'll come back. So stop thinking so much about her and start thinking about yourself first! I'm sure that's also what she's doing right now, focusing on her self."

I nodded, then released a long breath after. Art was right, I should focus on my life first especially now that I had a plan in mind after graduation. There was a lot of opportunities to look forward to, and I didn't want to miss any of it.

"After class we'll pull an all-nighter so we can finish our papers and submit it the next day." I said, which surprised Art.

"I like the energy~" He wiggled his brows. "But save that for tonight gorl, I don't want you passed out on my bed while I do mine."

"That wouldn't happen again, I promise!" I look at him straight in the eyes telling him that I was super serious this time, but he just crossed his arms at me and raised a brow. "Look, if I ended up sleeping, just pinch my nose and I'll jolt up awake. It really does work, tried it on my brother once." I whispered the last part.

"Fine..." He finally gave up. "But the snacks are your treat, you kinda eat a lot... my mom's word not mine." He defended.

I did? Gosh, I felt so sorry for Art's mom she must've hated my guts for that.

We spent the next free minutes outside at the school's park. I thought hadn't come here before because I forgot that the school had one. It was full of stalls and tables lined up at the center. Many students eat out here when it was not that hot out, some would have a cute picnic on the grass.

I appreciated this school for once. It had some nice qualities too if I only took the time before to roam around... Maybe I wouldn't have been stuck at her classroom for too long. What if I left at the same time as the other students leave her class, would things be so different if I hadn't been stubborn?

Maybe she wouldn't have been that important in my life if I chose to mind my business. I would still hear cries across my room every night, and I would still be with my unfaithful ex-girlfriend.

But feeling pain when Karlene left was better than not knowing her at all. I didn't regret meeting, and getting close to her, rather, I was grateful to have met someone like her.

Staring at the school's fountain, I thought to myself, people normally come and go that's life, but she'll always be in my heart, and in the corners of my thoughts she'll knock a few times then she'll remind me how it's possible to feel warmth despite a cold windy night.