Chapter Twenty

I finished reading all the rules and regulations I made inside my classroom. It was required to be read to students so they know their limits. Although, I was not exactly strict. They could use their phone when the class hadn't started. Snacks were allowed as long as they were eating them as neatly and silently as possible. I didn't assign seating positions, they could seat wherever they want. For lesson clarifications and questions, they could stay in my room after my last scheduled class until the final school dismissal. See? What more can they ask? I could be the popular, most adored teacher by now.

By the time I ended speaking, most of them were knocked up. Some slept on their desks. Some were still wide awake, or so I thought. The transferee was sitting straight in the middle. Her head was unnoticeably swaying back and forth. She was fighting the urge to close her eyes- her familiar eyes, now that I had gotten a good look. Where have I seen them?

The bell rang, it shook them off of their sleep. I dismissed them, then they all stood up, not in a line, but scattered. They were all racing for the door while one student was left behind watching them go.

What is she waiting for?

Then it was like an hour ago when it was quiet, just the sound of the air conditioner and the sound of footsteps from the hallway. I was alone with this girl again. I wonder what she needs.

"I heard them talking bad about you," she said.

She was quick to notice things and too inquisitive. I hope she'll lose hope in prying and not like those who jumped on the trend just to fit in. I know I had the first impression that she was going to be like that, but I think she was more sensitive to other's feelings more than anyone in this goddamn school.

I sighed, "it's normal around here, soon you'll get used to it."

"Are you telling me to ignore them?"

"Yes, and focus on what's important, and that's studying. Isn't that why you're going to school, to study?"

"W-well..."

I must've been too rude, she was just concerned. And I appreciate that she had been nice to me since she came in. Then she was afraid to make eye contact, and no matter how hard I tried to stare at her to somehow decipher her curiosity towards me, I couldn't seem to get an answer. Her head is bowed down on her desk, her hand played with her nails, meanwhile, I roamed my eyes around the room to search for what it is that made her stay longer.

"So, how do you like here so far?"

That made her raise her head. She was good at speaking what she felt, she made it seem so easy. "Honestly, I'm not yet comfortable in this school ma'am. Everyone is strict, except for you though."

"Uh-hm. It's my last year teaching in this school, thought I might want to loosen up."

"And yet that's how they treat you..." She slowly shook her head, more pissed than I am. Is she overreacting, or is it me that has gotten used to being treated like that?

"They don't deserve you, ma'am," she added.

I sighed. I'll say this again, she's too noisy for someone new here. She doesn't even know the whole story, even so, she's blindly defending me. If only she knows, then she won't be reacting like this.

"Don't you think you're being too in favor of me? What if I told you there's a reason behind it all?"

I might end up telling too much...

"It's still not fair to be ganging up on a person. I know it hurts because I've been there."

But that was different, way more different and catastrophic than any other high school drama or whatever she's thinking!

"I've made a huge mistake," I whispered under my breath, below the towering guilts that have been consuming me over the years.

The girl didn't leave, she gave me a small smile. It was from afar but it was affecting and I felt its warmth. "Everyone does," she shrugged. "You think they're all perfect and flawless? They are no different."

"You don't know what I've done..."

"I only know how much it aches. The feeling when you have no one to confide in. The ceaseless whispers, blaring repeatedly on your mind. It seems to never fade, it just lingers and follows you wherever you go."

"I know, and I feel as if I deserve this karma." I strained my voice as I persuaded myself that I do. I fucking do, it was my mistake, and this was the least that I can do to own up to it.

"They were talking about doing malicious things to you."

"I can cover my ears to that."

"They were objectifying you, they're sick, and you chose to brush them off as nothing happened. Is that still okay?"

"..."

"Is it?"

"...no."