Chapter Four

"Five missed calls, what the hell are you doing?"

Anne was annoyed I didn't pick up the phone earlier. I was still at Ms. Miller's house then, I didn't want to answer her there.

"I was at the neighbor's, I promise!"

"Okay, and what were you doing there?"

I knew situations like this were coming even before we move farther. She's the jealous type. If she could keep me monitored for 24 hours she would, that's just how she is. And I'm happy she felt that way, goes to show how much I am to her.

"We gave them gifts and talked for a while, that's all."

"And who's this neighbor, what are they like?"

"They're nice."

"Just nice? I bet she's hot since you couldn't even answer your girlfriend right away."

I could feel Anne roll her eyes over the phone. Then she hung up on me while I was still trying to explain.

I just dropped myself on my bed exhausted. We were arguing for half an hour and I was pacing back and fort at my room trying to defend myself. What could I do to make it up to her?

-

After lunch, I'm off to another class. I couldn't put my phone away for a minute, the thought that Anne might message me would lift up my face right away. But as of now... She's leaving me on read, not replying at all. That got me worried because I hadn't asked why she called last night. Anne doesn't normally call me that late, she would just text me.

I sat on my usual desk. Mr. Robinson kept stealing glances on my phone while he was discussing. Ok? I know I have an android, but why is he kinda mad?

I sneak-texted Anne saying I miss her so much and all, but she's only seeing my messages.

My little heart jumped when I saw three dots wiggle below my text. It means she's typing. But a message didn't pop up. I waited and waited, because the three dots were appearing and disappearing again and again.

"Holmes, give me your phone," I looked up and saw Mr. Robinson looking down at my turned on phone.

Fuck fuck fuck... Is he gonna take it away?

"Well? I'm waiting," He reached out an open hand.

Everybody's eyes were on me. I feel their glare getting heavier the longer I wait to give up my phone. I don't want to make a bigger scene. Screw this old man, I just wanna text my girlfriend! Who knows if she sent a message right now?

Then I surrendered it.

"Now that wasn't so hard, was it?"

No, it was hard. My phone knows me better than I know myself. It carries my secrets, journals, passwords, 7 years of memories. It wasn't just hard, it's like giving my soul to the devil.

He yanked it out of my hand as soon as I held it up. "If you want to get this back, you have to wait at the detention office."

God help me. I don't even know where the heck the detention office is.

I heard whispers on my back and they we're all looking at me and back at whoever they're talking to. I even heard Ms. Miller's name being mentioned, I don't know how she got dragged into this. This school's cray cray.

My last class would be at room 205. I hurriedly stood up after the bell rang never minding everyone at the background looking at me. I know what they're thinking, what a phoneless girl...