~

Our new biology teacher planned to pair us up for an upcoming project that was meant to last for a whole month. I sat at my usual place, a bit anxious because I knew no one in this class– well, except for Becky, she lend me her book a week ago... But besides her, I haven't talked to anyone. School had been very boring these past few months.

I waited for my name to be called hoping I wasn't paired with those asshole I picked a fight with before. They were surprisingly not sour after what happened, which made me confused. Well, not for long because weeks later after the fight, the guy that I punched approached me and asked if I wanted to have dinner with him. I asked myself, did my punch damaged his brain?

"Holmes and Hernandez, group number 5,"the teacher finally spoke my name together with someone I might be familiar with...

I turned my head around, and moved my eyes along the last row of seats at the back until I locked eyes with a boy. He had golden brown eyes, the first thing that I noticed. His light brown skin, and thick curly hair after I moved on from his intense pupils. I was right, that was the guy with the Hernandez surname. The surname you would often hear being shouted at the hallways. From what I observed, he was a troublesome guy.

The bell rang dismissing us. I gulped down because that would mean that I have to approach Hernandez in some kind of way to introduce myself. Shit... I stood up, hung my back pack on my shoulder, and cracked my knuckles telling myself that I could do it.

"Hey!" He called out first, and I felt relieved.

I turned to his way. "H-hi." Waved my hand.

He was quite short. He was a little guy standing low about to reach my shoulders, and yet he radiates quite an energy. Small but terrible. He looked like a grumpy grandpa with his baggy clothes.

"Name's Art. You're so lucky to have been paired up with me," he said boastfully which made him look cuter.

"Oh yeah? Well, I guess you're quite popular in here."

"That's right! What have you heard about me?"

We were the only one left at the classroom so he signalled me to go and chat as we walk out of the school. This was the first time in a while that I felt warmth in this cold season... It had got to do with the embarrassment of introducing yourself with someone new, something I haven't done in a while.

"I heard that you stole a school easel and took it home with you. You must love your name a lot for that, huh?" I chuckled.

"Uh– correction gurl, I didn't stole it, I just borrowed it without permission."

Isn't that the same thing? Maybe getting involve with a criminal would make an exciting school year.

"By the way, what's your name?" He looked up at my face. His eyes rounded by how tall I was compared to him.

"Ellie."

"Ellie! So Ellie..." He looked up at the orange sky coming up with a question.

What came next I didn't stressed as much. I guess what I needed after all was a friend... Someone to walk out of hell school with. A long sigh of relief that finally... I wasn't caught up at a loop anymore. Slowly, the time started to pace smoothly bringing soft and gentle winds in my life calming and forgetting the storm that blew me before. The days were neither too fast nor too slow, I was neglecting to check the time. Before I knew it, with a light feeling, I was closing my eyes to sleep. Less heavy thoughts to burden me, less distractions.

The translucent curtain across my room was replaced by blinds. A new person across me... It felt like the gap between these two rooms were much wider than before. And sometimes when I thought about it, I was becoming numb to the feeling of pain. Or maybe I wasn't even hurting that much anymore.

Should I let this be?