Chapter Thirty-Two

I pushed the door open and there she was sitting on her bed facing a cracked mirror.

"H-hey..." I said with a shaking voice as I entered. Her room was no different from her living room and kitchen, almost everything wasn't in order, and maybe that was the first thing that I noticed because I couldn't force myself to look at her fore any more than a second.

She held a rope tightly in between her hands, the moment I came she hid it behind her back. Her whole face was dry and pale. I saw dark spots sunk below her inanimate eyes as she turned her head to face me.

"Hi..." she said acting okay, but her voice whimpered. "I-I was just making a DIY Ellie... like a... a swing set, sort of..." she forced out a laugh.

I just stood there, watching her. I saw how defeated she looked. Then everything that the people on school said flashed on my mind and I thought of how those words made her like this...

"I wonder where I should I hang it on..?"

"Don't even–" I stepped closer to her but she glared at me making me freeze on my position, standing still at the door way while gripping an arm of my backpack.

The hairs on my arms stood up as she spoke. "Yeah, I was just about to do it if you didn't come." Karlene stood up from her bed. She walked up close to me. "Can you be honest, are you  really clueless or are you just pretending to like me cause you feel sorry about me?" 

I gulped, feeling I should tell the truth. "You didn't tell me anything... Why didn't you tell me it's– it's like I don't even know you anymore..."

Is she a part of the problem on why Tyrone and Chelsea's family went in knots? Tsk... my brother's friend wouldn't even eat and talk to his mom and sister after that.

"You don't know me in the first place," she corrected. "Remember when I said to not defend me so blindly?"

"... I-I didn't expect you to be a homewrecker, Karlene... why would you even do that? Do you know how the family you've just wrecked felt? My brother's friend wouldn't even come to school after that, he doesn't deserve that he's so innocent!"

"Well his father shouldn't have been loyal but he wasn't–"

"Don't pretend he's the only one at fault, you knew he had a family!"

A laugh escaped her pale lips. "Easy for you to judge." Then something played in her eyes, a quick anger that poured all over her face. "You don't know a thing about what I'm feeling because you're not the one who's hurting!"

Tears flowed out of her eyes, her make up was smudged, mascara dripped on her cheeks and her short hair was messed up. "I knew it was wrong dammit! I knew– but what can I do!? I don't know where to go because I have no one, Ellie!" she cried aloud, her hands were gripping my shoulder, they were trembling and cold.

Up and down her chest go, deep breaths here and there while she tried her hardest not to break down under my gaze. So much pain for a person to handle, it spilled up... was that why I feel the heart-gripping ache too? It resonated with the whole room and even if I was pissed about her I just wanted to hug her and tell her that every thing would be alright, wipe off the sadness in her heart yet I was scared that I would not be enough to cover up the cracks, the deepest, most broken parts of her.

"A person like you wouldn't understand that because you have a lot of people by your side."

She wasn't done, her head moved closer to my face and she whispered "have I told you the truth of what happened to my father...?"

I shook my head only knowing little about him. She liked to talk about her father, but I never really knew what happened to him.

"He killed himself right after my graduation, must've thought he fulfilled his duties and just ran away leaving me behind as if it— as if it's mission completed, swoosh~ He's outta here!" She laughed to try and swallow all the pain in. She shook her head. "You know... I didn't understand his pain of losing my mother because I've never met her, but after losing him, only did then I realized how agonizing it truly was, and this wasn't the first time I tried killing myself."