Chapter Thirty-Three

(*short chapters ahead*)

She was gone when I came to her house that night.

What happened earlier, I still couldn't explain. I walked out of her house and went straight to my room. Forgot about the rope she held that moment, and how she looked wrecked staring at the floor when I caught her.

Fuck. I said I wasn't going to leave her alone, and now here I was...

It was eating me alive. I stared at my wall clock while I anxiously pushed my fingernails onto my skin. My index finger was a mess, as I cut too deep and made an open wound. Like that wasn't uncomfortable enough, my room was so hot my back was soaked wet by my sweat. I couldn't even stand up to open my windows because I was too shaky to move.

Too nervous. Too sweaty. Too shaky. Too fucking scared.

Waiting for Karlene to pull up in her house was an excruciating game. Each time the hands of my clock step forward, the pressure I exert on my fingernails added. I was just stuck to wait and pray (and I'm not even that religious), that she's in a safe place right now and not doing some God-knows things!

She left her house dark and unlit. And that never happened yet. It never did... Because by this time, she'd already been in her room, by her window, and annoying the fuck out of me. But, where is she now? She's not there, and I don't know where else she could've gone to.  I might've been too selfish back there that I forgot how she looked when I first stepped into her room. And then this... I wasn't even making an effort, I was just stuck to wait for someone and I don't even know for how long. For how long, or if I was even waiting or just being a coward.

It was past dinner time and not a sound or a light had parked beside our house. All the signs and I didn't do a thing. I wonder how long I could keep this up...