Chapter Eight

I locked the front door double checking it too so we won't get robbed when I leave for school. Don't wanna get burglarized, I already did a room make over.

It's a perfect morning, the weather isn't too hot or too cold. Many people are jogging at this time, mostly old people. And they jog with a straight body too as if they're scared they're gonna break a bone or something. Skipping to them, birds are chirping up above me on the electricity lane where they sat and observe. Squirrels climb racing on a tree and dragons roaring at the dis- just kidding. Although I sometimes wish to be transported to a fictional world. How cool would it be to have a giant fire breathing lizard for a pet.

I checked for my neighbor but her car wasn't in her garage. All the lights outside her house was still on. It only mean one thing~ the bitch got laid y'all! Good for her.

Turning on my way to the streets I shouldered my backpack. Today I'm wearing a gray sweater, jeans and white sneakers. Not too showy, not too eye catching. Isn't that how most main character dress? They don't care about how they look like cause they don't know how to apply make up and they don't know how to match outfits but they still manage to get all the rich dudes. Well, fiction is fiction. I wish I was in a fiction too. Then I wouldn't have to worry about stuffs because I already know I have a happy ending waiting for me.

I was brought back to my senses when I heard honking of a vehicle at my side. The familiar tiny orange car brought down it's side window.

"Come on in!" Ms. Miller shouted, calling me on the street while I was walking. She was smiling like an idiot and motioning for me to get closer to her car.

"No," I said. This is like the only time I get to exercise in my life. I love walking and appreciating my surroundings.

"But I could not wait to share this with someone!" She whined. Could she not wait at school? I stayed focus on walking leaving her car behind but she catched up to me anyway. "Fine do your thing," She synched her driving with my walking. We look like a two person parade right now, might as well grab a tarpaulin and start a rally.

"So this man I was on a date with, remember? He surprised me a dinner date. Fancy instruments were playing around us while it rained rose petals everywhere... That night, it was perfectly romantic."

A detail of her story caught my attention. "You're eating at the center of guys playing instruments?"

"Yeah," She nodded as she tilted her head questioning me why I asked.

"That's kind of weird."

"It's kind of sweet..."

I raised a brow at her. It's funny how she try to convince me by raising and lowering her brows too. I won the brow game and that made her let out a sigh.

"Okay, It did throw me off a bit. I was worried I might get spit on my pasta." She admitted. "But the rest is just like I described."

I grinned, "Sure, I'm sure guys are plenty of fun." The sarcastic side of me kicked in, or not... Are guys fun? I guess I'll never know.

"They are. You should try them sometimes."

What she said gave me goose bumps. Never in a bagajillion years do I imagine myself dating a man. "No way." I laughed. "I'd rather attend your class for 5 hours straight."

Ms. Miller did not respond for a while, instead, we both hear her car's engine. It's doing the talking for both of us, once again, I remember how ridiculous we look like to a stranger's eyes. A walking lady and a moving car beside her...

"I really want to argue with you that it's not, but If I was a student I'd probably just skip too." Ms. Miller locked her eyes on the road. Her eyes losing glee.

I sensed disappointment on her voice. I never intended to bring her mood down or anything like that. She's so cheerful a minute ago. I feel like a dick. It was meant to be a joke to tease her. A very very mean joke. God help me.

"And why's that? Do you not like- do you uhh..." I paused what I was going to say avoiding adding more insult to injury. Now I regret ever talking about it.

"Yes Ellie, I don't like teaching. It's never- I never wanted- ugh forget it." She dropped it and went for a deep sigh after.

Once again a long pause for finding and searching for words. I don't know how to comfort her right now so I just watched her, I watched her watch the road a head of us.

We're nearing the school gates, I could already see it, and feel it's tension. I have come to hate everyday I attend school. It's just eyes and mouths and uncertainty. I wonder who holds the truth, it's getting on my nerves not knowing who they're aiming at. And what's so bothering is you can't just act oblivious about it. Don't mind them is easier said than done.

Ms. Miller stepped on her car's brake making an obvious noise and making me stop on my tracks. "Hey, this is random but... Would you like to skip school with me?"

I never had someone to skip school with...

What she said was alluring and I was more than amused hearing that from her, from a teacher at that. It made me laugh, it's the way how she immediately face palmed herself the moment she said it. Her slender, manicured hand ran down her face never minding she has make up on. Karlene Miller is built different, I must say.

"I'm down," I said gulping down. I don't know what I'm getting myself into.

"You are?" Her eyes grew big as she watch me confirm myself.

"Hell yeah."

Before I knew it, my arms were opening her car's door and letting myself in.