Chapter Eighteen

_______

The following chapters are going to be from Karlene Miller's point of view from the very beginning up to the previous chapter.
_______

One more bad news for this week, and I'll put up a large tarpaulin of live, laugh, love quote on my backyard. The thing is, I broke my color-changing mug. I bought it in a dollar store and thought it was adorable because it came with a lid. I could bring it to my car and won't have to worry about spilling coffee everywhere. And now it's broken, but will be remembered. Farewell, my favorite coffee mug... It was fun while it lasted.

I got in my car, gloomier than usual. I was in shock of breaking my only mug, but it still won't compare to the first day of school. Another school year, and many more to go I guess...? By then, I hope I won't lose my mind. Everything seemed to move away from my direction, and I needed a map to lead me back from where and how I stood before. I used to be so determined, I don't know what happened to me now.

My neighbors left their house early. I saw their van wasn't on their driveway but mysteriously, I heard music inside of their house. I swear I saw them left earlier... Mr. And Mrs. Holmes...?

Worried that they might've been intruded, I left my car to see it for myself. I regretted stepping out but I'm already at the porch, I might as well.

I pushed their doorbell then heard it rang inside louder than the music playing. "Mrs. Holmey!?" I shouted. If it's an intruder rather than Mrs. Holmey, I'm more or less dead. Dammit! I knew this wasn't a good idea.

I heard rustling inside, then a bam, their partially opened front door slammed closed. Soon I realized something hit the door, a person is leaned on the other side.

"This is the Holmes residence, who are you?" A female voice responded, and it sounded like Mrs. Holmes I spoke to days ago. Their front door doesn't have those small peeking holes. The person on the other side can't see me.

"I live next door, I'm just checking on your house Miss seems like you forgot to close your front door. I thought you and your husband left already."

"I'm not my mom- I'm not Mrs. Holmes. And she's not here."

"Oh. You sound just like your mom," I said. "Anyway, I should get going. Have a good one, Ms. Holmes."

Weirdly, she won't come out and face me. I wonder what kept her inside, if she's just a shy person, or if she just doesn't trust the person outside. It made me feel stupid to have a conversation with a door. Then, what's next surprised me as I was going down their porch's tiny stairs, I heard the door creaked open behind me.

"Before you go...Can I get your name please-" I saw a pair of big brown eyes sticking out, although the rest of her face and body were hidden behind the wood.

Uhm... I don't know if I have the time for introductions, and chit-chats it's already 6:40 am, I have a meeting with the headmaster at 7:00.

Before she could finish her sentence I cut in, "maybe next time Ms. Holmes. I'm sure we'll have many chances of meeting again," I said.

She nodded then thanked me for checking up on the house. I got back to my car. I felt lighter than before, like I did a good deed. That made me feel better about myself.