Chapter Sixteen

I woke up on a white leather couch. My body is slouching and I'm an inch away from completely sliding off. Despite that, I was covered with a soft blanket up to my legs. 

I remembered a bit of details and how I got here.

~~

I should go," Karlene stood up from the sidewalk we were sitting on.

I copied her and stood on my feet as well, but not as steady. My yellow dress has some grass and dirt sticking on it's side, like I rolled over a hill or something.

I tripped on my own feet making Karlene hold my arm to guide me to my front door.

"Take it easy," she said, carefully supporting me up the little stairs on the porch.

"I'm sorry, I bothered you a lot today." I whispered on her ear. Her face was just so close, and I see her concern, I thought I might want to apologize. God knows what could've happened if she didn't see me outside earlier. I could've been dead on the road. Could've been a ghost by this time.

"You didn't."

I nodded as I leaned beside the door to open it. I twisted the door knob, but it was not budging. I turned it harder but it was locked the way it is.

Shit.

~~

I wiped my eyes and squinted at a digital clock sitting on a tiny coffee table. It says, 2:00 pm. I'm inside a house, that's not mine, and it's pass lunch time. My parents are gonna fucking kill me. I immediately thought to get out of here as fast as I could.

I removed the blanket and was surprised I'm no longer wearing my yellow dress. In fact, it was placed next to me, neatly folded at that. Now I had on a loose white shirt and short shorts but sadly I don't remember changing.

From what I can observe, I'm alone downstairs. I should take this as an opportunity to grab my ass and shit to bolt out of here and into my house. It's embarrassing to stay for too long, and my parents are probably sick worrying about where I am.

As my feet landed on a soft, fur-like carpet, a phone rang. It was beside my dress, ringing. It had the letter "J" as the name of the caller. They kept calling, even after I'm done fixing myself ready to go, it still rang.

What if it's an emergency? I thought. Half of my mind is insisting I go pick it up, and half says mind my own damn business. But what if I killed a person by not answering? Or sunk a fucking country or some ass shit like that. I don't know! The thought played and played, each time it did, it gets crazier, and now here I am... hesitantly picking it up with a hand. It wouldn't be bad if I answer and listen for a bit right??

I answered the call.

"Hey baby..." A deep, manly voice called. "Did you receive the flowers?"

Flowers? I peaked on the dining room and indeed, there is a bouquet of pink roses sitting on the table. But I know Karlene doesn't like flowers... Just who is this man calling her?

"You didn't show up last night. Thought you might still be mad about what happened..."

I heard a creaking sound outside as if someone is walking. The foot steps get  nearer and the phone is still on my hand.

"Hello? Karlene? Are you there-" I hanged up the phone on time, sliding it in my pocket, then the door creaked opened.

I stood up straight, as if a bolt of electricity has gone up my body. Fuck. Her phone is in my pocket how the fuck am I gonna explain this? She's gonna think I'm a fucking stalker. Why didn't I just threw it on the fucking floor? Or minded my own fucking business? She was so nice to me letting me stay in her house and this is what I'm doing? Fuck,  now she's squinting her eyes at me, she definitely thinks I'm suspicious.