83.

Chapter 83 | The date: chapter 01: paintballing

Isabella:

"Paintballing?"

Mia captures both mine and Lucas' horrified expressions on camera.

Grace grins as Mia pulls the disposable camera away from her face and chucks it back into the picnic basket situated in the passenger seat of Lucas' car before shutting the door closed behind her.

"Yep!" Grace clasps her hands together proudly. "Your booking is for an hour and a half and then Mia and I will instruct you with what's the plan next."

"Paintballing?" Lucas repeats like a broken record as he stares pointedly up at the huge warehouse like building we're all currently standing outside.

My gaze draws away from the massive sign plastered on the front of the building and towards the group of people currently walking by the side of the warehouse, wearing jumpsuits and completely smeared in paint from head to toe. I press my lips together and flit my gaze back onto my two friends.

"Why did I ever think you guys were sending Lucas and I somewhere classy?"

Mia waves her hand dismissively. "Trust me guys, this sort of activity is so your thing."

"Yeah, but not for a date." Lucas argues back, eyebrows narrowing in both confusion and warniess.

Grace makes a face. "And why not?"

"Because a bunch of pre teens are literally gonna be shooting paint at us whilst we cower in pain," I point out.

"Actually it'll be you two shooting paint at each other alongside the pre teens," Mia adds. "We requested that you're put in seperate teams."

Lucas stares at Mia blankly before letting out a defeated breath. "Great. That makes it so much better. On my first date with my girlfriend I'm not even going to be hanging out with her." He then shoots both Mia and Grace a pointed look. "You guys sold this date off for more than it actually is."

Grace smacks him around the head and crosses her arms across her chest defensively. "Hey!" She exclaims. "This is one out of the trillion other activities we have planned for you guys. We just thought you'd enjoy this because it seems like your type of activity!"

"Yeah, stop being fussy and just give it a go." Mia adds, frowning. "Just trust the goddamn binder for once. Grace and I have planned this to every minute detail."

A wash of slight guilt washes through me at this and I bite the inside of my cheek, suddenly feeling ungrateful. The two did spend almost 4 months planning and this isn't some impromptu day out they've just thrown together, Mia and Grace have thought carefully what Lucas and I would both enjoy...even if that is paintballing.

I stare up at Lucas and find him staring down at me with a similar look plastered across his face - he feels bad too.

He presses his lips into a flat line and after a moment of silent conversation between the two of us I let out a silent breath and face my girls again. "Alright," I give in, albeit a little hesitantly, "we'll give it a shot."

"Yeah," Lucas adds, sounding somewhat unsure still. "I guess it could be enjoyable."

Both Grace and Mia's spirits rise at our agreement.

"Yay!" Grace squeals, her smile reaching her eyes as excitement fills her again. "I promise you guys will have fun! Now quick go inside, we'll text you the details of the next bit of the plan!"