79.

Chapter 79 | Distance

Lucas:

The sting of rejection stays with me all throughout the rest of the party. It's not very major but still, her consciously moving her hand away as I had tried to slip mine into hers nevertheless had brought a tightness to my chest as it had happened - it still brings a tightness to my chest everytime I think about it.  Especially because she's been acting distant on top of that too.

Maybe it's something I shouldn't be overthinking, but no matter how hard I try, I can't get the niggling feeling out of the back of my mind.

It's also heightened my view on every action Isabella has towards me, towards everyone and everything in general from that moment onwards.

I find myself over analysing the way she reacts to me saying something to her, what her barely making eye contact with me means, if it means anything. How she keeps to herself when the rest of us all converse in a big group. How even Leo notices something off about Bella and how she brushes him off with a seemingly fake smile when he asks if she's okay.

She continues to remain quiet for the rest of the party, appearing to be lost in thought all throughout and only really speaks when she is spoken to. It therefore does not take long for me to conclude that something majorly is up with Isabella.

***

"You alright?" I ask Isabella as all of us file into one of Zak's guest rooms and spread out, taking seats in various spaces in the room.

By 'all of us', I mean our friend group, Leo, Sammy, Zak, Angie and somehow Lucy - Grace's little sister too.

Isabella nods and shifts ever so slightly to create a tiny distance between the two of us as I sit beside her on the bed. Ouch.

"Yeah, I'm good," she responds, adding a little 'pep' to her reply as she speaks, something I take note is truly just to cover up the fact she is not good. "Just a little tired, I can't wait to go home and sleep."

I nod and eye her curiously as Bella keeps her eyes downcasted to her lap and begins to play with the hem of her dress.

I'm about to say something else when Mia's loud groan cuts me off and I turn my head, my attention drawing onto Mia instead as she flops face down on the bed beside Isabella and I.

"I'm bored," her whine is muffled against the covers.

"Me too," Isabella says.

"We should play truth or dare." Grace offers, stretching her long legs in front of her as she sits beside Aidan on the floor.

"That's a kiddie party game," Mia groans and thrashes her legs about immaturely.

"There's no alcohol at this party, it already feels like a kid party, what's the issue if we play kiddie party games?" Lucy points out. 11 year old Lucy points out.

Dylan reaches forward and fist bumps her. "Preach," he says as Lucy, in awe, retracts her hand and cradles her fist to her chest and I'm sure, secretly kisses the knuckles where Dylan had touched only moments before.

"Fine," Mia lifts her head up from the bed and gazes across at everyone. "You all up for a game of truth or dare?" She asks and is met with a reply of bored 'sure's'.

"Dirty edition?" She then adds with a raise of her eyebrow.

"Not too dirty," Aidan points at Lucy. "There's a child."

"Please," Lucy rolls her eyes and crosses her arms across her chest. "I'm very mature for my age."

"You're not mature," Grace snorts. "You just had internet access at a way too young age."