17.

Chapter 17 | Homecoming

Isabella:

"I'M COMING!" I scream, rushing down the stairs and almost stumbling over in my heels.

I open the front door breathlessly and the moment I see who it is, I briskly slam it closed again.

Well, I try to but Lucas swiftly sticks his feet in between, preventing me from doing so.

"I thought you were Mia or Grace," I grumble, reluctantly opening the door again and allowing Lucas to pass through into the hallway.

For a second I think I see Lucas' eyes widen in shock as he takes me in. "Why were you excepting Mia or Grace?"

Huffing in frustration, I refuse to meet his gaze and keep my eyes latched onto the wooden floor of the hallway. "They were my escape."

"Escape?" He snorts before moving forward and standing directly in front of me. I continue to keep my gaze on the floor and on his black dress shoes. He's standing close enough for me to smell the cologne on him.

Dior sauvage = deceased Isabella.

"I told them to come pick me up so I wouldn't have to go with you," I explain, finally looking up from the floor with my eyes narrowed. The specks of gold in his iris seem even brighter under the dim lighting of the hallway and his hair is styled and tousled nicely. I press my lips together to stop my mouth gaping open at the gorgeous sight of his appearance. "I'm not going to Hoco on your motorbike," I state through gritted teeth. Even thinking about that death trap spikes my already high level of anxiety.

"Yes you are, you can't get rid of me or Gigi," he replies back simply, smirking down at me teasingly. He then outstretches his arm for me to latch onto. "C'mon we better get going."

I give him a defiant shrug, before turning around and trudging back up the stairs. "Nah, it's ok, I think I'll just wait here for Mia and Gra-OW."

"Let go of me!" I practically scream at him, swatting his hand away from the iron grip he has on my wrist.

Ignoring my protests he continues dragging me back down the stairs. "You can't back out of a bet Belly."

"Yes I can, I'm not going on that fucking bike! I don't want to di-"

My abuela peeks her head from around the kitchen door, cutting me off. "Isabella what's all that noise," she begins before her gaze falls onto Lucas standing beside me. "OH HI CARINO!" She smiles brightly before rushing towards us and grabbing Lucas by the face, promptly squishing his cheeks. "My don't you look handsome mijo! Isabella why didn't you tell us Lucas was your date!" She turns to look at me expectantly.

"Date?" I snort, spluttering out in laughter. "Please abuela what do you take me for? I lost a bet so he's driving me to school on his motorcycle."

She waves her hand dismissively, dropping her hands from Lucas' face. "Whatever, wait here you two, I want a picture of you two both! You guys look so pretty!" She hastily rushes off in search of her camera.

"I do look pretty," Lucas sighs wistfully.

I stare at him blankly. "...Okay," I say even though in my mind I am agreeing thoroughly.

My abuela is right, we did look pretty.

My hair was curled to perfection and my makeup had turned out amazing, my foundation flawless, my lips tainted a nice mauve colour and my eyes streaked with eyeliner.

If I were to be completely honest, I had been wary with the amount of skin I was showing, my legs and arms were bare for the first time in a long ass time but I violently shoved the taunting thoughts into the back of my mind. I wasn't going to let my stupid overthinking ruin this night.