31.

Chapter 31 | Unexpected visits and Mia's angry growls

Lucas:

"Um...hello? What are you doing here?"

I shrug my shoulders nonchalantly, shoving another spoonful of cereal into my mouth. "Just wanted to hang out."

She stands still in the kitchen doorway for a second, staring blankly at me and blinking slowly, like she's processing what she has just seen in front of her.

Isabella's hair is a complete mess, sticking up in all directions and her very oversized shirt, which I presume she used as pyjamas and fell asleep in, is hanging off of one shoulder.

"And what is she doing here?" She asks in a monotone voice, raising her hand to wave lamely at Ivy who is perched on a stool beside me looking like she'd rather dig her own grave and bury herself alive rather than be here. I give my girlfriend a knowing look.

"...I'm here to also...hang out," Ivy replies quietly through gritted teeth.

I nod my head in agreement and chew on the food in my mouth. "She wanted to make friends," I say gesturing between the two girls. "I want my dear ol' best friend and girlfriend to get along."

"First of all, I'm not your best friend," she points out. "And second of all...I'm going back to sleep, this is a very bad nightmare."

"While you're at it," Ivy calls out just as Bella is about to leave the room. "Fix your hair...it's giving me brain damage just looking at that...mess."

Bella blinks slowly at Ivy before raising her hands to her hair and messing it up even more. She then shoots my girlfriend a look by raising her eyebrow and cocking her head slightly to the side before storming out of the kitchen and up the stairs, the pattering of her feet against the tiled floor echoing through the house.

I turn to Ivy. "Remember we went over this...you're supposed to be nice," I hiss from the corner of my mouth.

She shrugs her shoulders and looks down at her nails. "I am, I just gave her advice."

***

She comes down about an hour later, her lips pursed and annoyance drawn across her features the moment she see's that Ivy and I are still in her kitchen. Her hair is no longer messy and she has gotten dressed in an oversized grey hoodie that almost reaches her knees and black leggings. Her short hair is tied into a cute little messy bun at the nape of her neck with a few tendrils escaping and her face is bare and makeup free.

"Lucas can I have a word with you please," Isabella asks, well, more like demands, through gritted teeth.

I'm about to reply when Ivy very, kindly interjects, a sickly sweet smile playing on her lips. "Whatever you need to tell my boyfriend you can tell me too."

Isabella blinks slowly, sending Ivy a blank look before turning back to face me. "Lucas. A. Word. Outside."

I give my girlfriend a pleading look and she rolls her eyes. "Fine," she grumbles. "But be quick."

I quickly scramble after Isabella who is already in the hallway beside the front door, for a person with such little legs she sure is fast.

"What's up?" I ask her, running a hand through my hair and pushing it away from my eyes, it was getting long.

"What are you doing here?" She crosses her arms across her chest and narrows her eyes. "And where is my family gone?"

"Abuela is at bingo and your mom took Sofia with her to breakfast with Linh and Eve."