18.

Chapter 18 | Surprise

Isabella:

Strong arms engulf me in a bone crushing hug and I inhale the scent of my fathers cologne in which I hadn't smelt in almost 4 months.

"Mija I missed you so much," he murmurs, kissing me on the forehead as I stay stunned, trying to get my head around the moment that's currently taking place.

He pulls away from the embrace after a while, a huge grin playing on his lips. He moves to the side to allow me to enter into the house and I'm instantly greeted by the warmth.

"Wow," I breathe, turning around to face my father again, a large smile finding its way onto my face. "You're really here!"

I let out a little squeal, my brain finally catching up with me and throw my arms around my father once again. "I missed you so much dad but what are you doing here?"

"Missed you more sweetheart and I took a couple of days off of work, I mean Sofia's birthday is coming up and I wasn't going to miss that so I thought I would come surprise you guys."

"Well I'm glad you're finally here!" I respond. I break and the hug and proceed to shove off my heels before we both walk into the kitchen where I spot my grandmother by the stove, cooking something that smells specifically like apple sauce. I scour my eyes across the room to see that my mom is missing, she's usually sitting on the island on her laptop at this time which is weird to see that she isn't.

"Where's Ma-" I ask, my eyebrows drawn together in confusion.

"Valeria went to Linh's house before I arrived," my dad cuts me off before I can finish and I nod understandingly, pulling my lips into a thin line. That was a dumb question, of course she would leave before my father got here.

It's probably for the best that my mom and dad are not in the same room for a long period of time, they hadn't left on the best of terms and both of their stubborn asses were bound to start beating each other up if they were to be near each other.

Both my dad and grandma share a look and I clear my throat replacing the frown on my face with a small smile.

"So uh dad where are you going to stay?"

"At a hotel," he replies sighing. "I'm not going to be here for very long, only for a week." I frown at this again. "But I promise I'll fly out for longer around Christmas time," he reassures me just as Sofia runs into my room screaming and colliding with my fathers jean clad legs. He picks her up and my baby sister giggles with glee.

"Okay," I smile. "I'm just glad you're here though."

"Me too mija." He clasps his hands together. "Now," he raises his eyebrows questioningly. "Are you down for Millie's?"

"At this hour?" I ask, cocking my head to the side just as my father nods his head. "Of course."

***

"No he did not!"

As my dad finishes up the story he's in the middle of telling I struggle to contain my laughter which is a slight problem as I'm the midst of sipping on my milkshake which causes me to splutter out in a fit of coughs and giggles.

Instead of helping me from choking on my drink by patting my back or something, my father merely begins to chuckle loudly at my state causing me to begin to laugh harder therefore choke more and in turn recieve angry glares from people sitting at neighbouring tables.

"You guys alright?" The waiter asks as he sidles up to our booth with my fathers waffle.

We both nod unable to stop our fit of giggles and the waiter places the plate on the table and scurries away awkwardly as my dad and I try to compose ourselves.