04.

Chapter 4 | Reunited

Lucas:

*this is the previous
chapter but in Lucas's pov*

"So how have you been hun?"

I'm currently sitting in the kitchen, catching up with Valeria, Isabella's baby sister, Sofia, curled up in my lap playing with a doll. Prior to this abuela had been haggling me with her tray of columbian snacks but I managed to escape. "I've been alright," I reply with a smile. "How about you? How have you been after the..."

I trail off realising that it probably isn't my place to pry.

Val however, merely raises an eyebrow. "Divorce?" She continues for me.

I nod, and grimace slightly. "Sorry I don't mean to step over a line."

"It's okay." She sighs wistfully. "I've seen better days but now that's we're back in the US it feels as if a weight has been lifted over my shoulders."

I nod in reply. "Well I'm glad you're back it's great to see you after so long."

She smiles and squeezes my knee. "It's great to see you too love, you've grown up so much!"

I chuckle. It had been a while since I had been in the Quintero family home. With Valeria and Isabella whisked away in London I hadn't seen them in 6 years.

Although I was neighbours with abuela, my visits with her had been very limited. With school and football practices I was very busy but over the years but I still had made time to pop in here and there and say hello and to help her with any tasks.

"So where is Isabella?" I find myself asking, curiosity laced in my voice.

I would be lying if I didn't say I wasn't interested about seeing how Isabella turned out after all these years. I had tried to stalk her on instagram but her profile was private so there wasn't much to see. It was hard to pry information out of Mia and Grace because I had lost contact with them once we started high school and I didn't want to come off as desperate by asking Aidan and Dylan so I had left it. I hadn't heard much about how she was doing, only a couple mentions from abuela when I came over but it wasn't much. She seemed to have enjoyed living in London though from what I heard.

"She's still sleeping," Val replies with a shake of her head. "I tried to wake up her up but my daughter can sleep through pretty much anything so it wasn't much use! I'm sure she'll be up soon though."

I'm about to ask her another question when the door to the kitchen flies open and in hurdles two 38 year old women.

Valeria screams like a 13 year old girl and jumps up from her seat, running towards them.

Linh, Val and Eve hug each other in a strong embrace, all three women shrieking like banshees.

"Ladies!" A voice calls out from behind them. "You're killing my ear drums."

The three women step away from each other looking quite sheepish.

"You're right we're acting like teenagers," Linh coughs, running a hand through her hair.

Eve smirks in reply. "Who cares how we're acting, it's so good to see you Val! I missed you like crazy!"

"Aw guys," Valeria wipes a hand across her eyes. "I missed you too!"

They pull each other into an embrace again, this time crying instead of screaming and I look behind the ladies to the doorway where two girls stand watching the scene unfurl in front of them. Mia has her arms crossed across her chest while Grace stands next to her with an eyebrow raised.