91.

Chapter 91 | Cranky Lucas

Isabella:

"Awh, my poor babies!" Mia coos, strolling into my room in the early afternoon, followed by Grace, Aidan and Dylan. She pouts at the sight of Lucas and I curled up in bed and presses a hand to her chest as she leans down in front of the two of us. "How are you guys feeling?"

"Like shit," Lucas murmurs, brushing his sweaty hair out of his forehead before letting out a loud sneeze.

I moan, shoving him away from me. "Ewww."

"Don't ew me, you've been sneezing all over me this morning," Lucas retorts through a croaky voice, shuffling back closer to me and burying his head on my shoulder.

"Well you deserve it." I joke, "You're the reason why we're sick."

It had been inevitable that Lucas and I would catch a cold the moment we had stepped into the car after pulling a runner from the fancy restaurant at the beach two days ago. Even with the heat on blast and pulling on a bunch of hoodies Lucas had collected in the back seat, we had feverishly shivered the whole ride home and by the time we had finally reached our houses, the two of us had become a sneezy, sniffly mess.

Two days later, we were still feeling the aftereffects of running into the freezing cold sea half naked, in the middle of the storm.

Lucas had stayed with me in my house, in my bed the past few days as abuela had helped take care of us, babying the two of us and feeding us her magical soup to help us get better. Her swaddling and coddling had slowly been working and today Lucas and I were feeling significantly better albeit still feeling a little gross and stuffy.

Dylan shoves past Mia, breaking up Lucas and I's bickering by gesturing for me to budge over. "I'm so tired," he whines, lifting up the covers before I can even move an inch and crawling into bed with us. I let out a muffled groan as he half smothers me with his body and pulls my pillow out from under my head and laying his own on it instead. "I didn't get a wink of sleep last night, I was on call with Leo until 5 in the morning."

"Woah, until 5?" I repeat, trying to wriggle out from under him.

Dylan nods, shuffling away to free me before burying his face into my pillow to scream.

A sympathetic expression crosses Grace's face as she takes a seat on the edge of the bed. "Long distance huh?" She pats his leg comfortingly.

"It sucks like a bitch." Dylan sighs into the pillo, his voice coming out muffled. "Mia I don't know how you're gonna do it when Sammy goes off for college in a couple months."

"I'm deciding to focus on the positives babe."

"Well, please list them for me Mi, because at this point I can't think of a single one."

"Okay..." Mia begins, flicking a strand of her hair over one shoulder and starting to count on her fingers. "One, Dyl pickle, phone sex is kind of great-"

Lucas groans, cutting her off. "Ugh, Mia you're gonna make me more sick." His words follow yet another sneeze.

"Shut up." She straightens up, grabbing the tissue box from my bedside table and chucking it at his head. It bounces off Lucas with a boink and I snicker as he yelps out in pain.

I earn a jab to the ribs in retaliation for laughing.

"Now let me continue," Mia rolls her eyes before lifting another finger. "Two," she counts before trailing off and pausing for a beat. She goes silent, her face scrunching up as she thinks for a moment.

We all wait anticipatingly for Mia to tell us number two.

"Um, Mi, what's the second positive?" Aidan prompts after a good 30 seconds have passed and Mia has yet to continue speaking.