Chapter 30: I'm not gay, I'm British

Chapter 30| I'm not gay, I'm British

***

As we walked to the library Esma rattled on about ideas I could do for my project and when she realised I wasn't listening she stopped.

"What's up with you Heidi?" She asked, as we entered the library.

Sam went up to her mother, who fussed over her daughters hair. She took out a comb and brushed through, Sam tried to escape but her mother had already caught her in her tight grip. I swallowed back a snicker when Sam caught my eyes and glared.

"Nothings up, what are you talking about?" I avoided Esma's eyes and walked to the chem section. She followed, plucking out a few books.

"Cut the bullshit, Heidi," she started again. "You're parents have fled to God knows where, your not talking to your cousin, and last I heard your also staying with the Genovese. Of course something's up,"

Welp, who knew Esma was quite the observer.

Putting the book I was fake studying back on the shelf I turned to Esma with a sigh. "I'm on my period?"

She rolled her hazel eyes and dragged me to the nearest study table. "Don't lie to me, we have the same cycle and don't start for another week,"

"Geez, can you stop being a smartass," I frowned. "I'm trying to deflect,"

She snorted. "I know. You weren't this shit at lying before,"

"Don't remind me. I'll start crying,"

Moving closer this time, Esma looked around at the empty space, peeked at Sam who was now doing something on her mums computer as the woman worked on braiding her purple dyed hair, then focused back on me. "You wanna flee too?" She whispered.

I furrowed my brows and looked around. "Like right now? I have a meeting with our Head," She rolled her eyes and took out a wad of cash. "You keep that much money in your school bag? What the fuck do you sell Esma?"

She shoved it towards me, still looking around suspiciously. This looked like a drug deal. Would you look at that, like father like daughter. I bet daddy dearest would be so proud of me for following in his footsteps.

"Take it and buy a plane ticket to wherever the hell will get you out of here the quickest. Fuck Chris, you need to go,"

What was this girl on?

"Esma what the fuck are you talking about?" I whisper yelled, she shushed me and shoved the money in my palm. "I can't runaway, they'll come after me,"

She narrowed her eyes. "Who?"

I went to lie but she kicked me under the table. "Did you just kick me?" I winced. "You asshole, that hurt," I rubbed my shin and gave her a dirty look.

   "Yes I did, because you were gonna deflect again," she sighed. "It's them isn't it? The trio. They've got something on you,"

I nodded gingerly. "More like they're brother. But I can't tell you or else you'll die. And I'll die too. I don't want to die yet," Omertà and all that jazz.