Chapter 21: The whole walking jibe isn't really my thing

Chapter 21|The whole walking jibe isn't really my thing

***

   "Go home, Heidi,"

   "If only there was such a place," I murmured, gazing up at the ceiling before Rico gave me a flat look.

   "There is, you've grown up there for the past eighteen years," he stated, piling up all the receipts from today. "Now please, get home before your dad kills me,"

   I groaned, moving sluggishly off the chair, trying to take my time since home was the last place I wanted to be right now.

"Why do you want to get rid of me?" I frowned, shrugging on my jacket. "My company is quite spectacular,"

Rico rolled his eyes, but didn't look at me. "I'll take your word for it. Now shoo,"

I feigned hurt. "I'll have my lawyers hear about this," I initially wanted to pull a Draco and say 'father' instead of lawyer, but I wasn't quite happy to use that title, since my 'father' was being a secretive, little bitch. And that only put a Debby downer on my mood since I loved a good sassy Draco Malfoy moment and now he ruined it.

Finally, Rico pulled his gaze from stacking his receipts and looked at me, boredom in his eyes. "Why don't you tell your lawyers right now and get out of my restaurant," I scoffed playfully. "Make sure to spare no details whilst you're at it,"

"You're no fun," I whined.

"I'll show you fun, if you're going to stay here and be a pain in my ass, take out the rubbish," I caught the way the corners of his mouth turned up.

"Would you look at the time," I exclaimed theatrically, glancing at my watch-less wrist. "I should probably be heading home now, bye,"

Rico snorted under his breath. "That's what I thought,"

Waving my hand back and forth, I speed walked out the shop and slammed the door shut. The sound reverberating in the gentle breeze outside. It wasn't cold today, unlike my heart...

Do I sound cool? Pun definitely intended, read it three times so it can become one with your soul.

   The funny thing about work is that I didn't have to tell my boss or any of the staff that I had an almost near death experience right next to our building. My dad made up a bullshit excuse for me - something to do with my period - and that was that. I disappeared a whole week without a trace. No questions asked.

I rushed along the pavement, the soft lights from people's bedroom windows, police sirens wailing in the background, making me wonder who they were rushing to this time or perhaps if they were just using the siren to avoid traffic. I've always wanted to know what it's like to sit in a Police car. The badass energy must be immaculate.

I, in contrast to my unhealthy colleagues, decided to walk tonight.

The minor lie in there was that I had done so willingly. Actually it's a partial lie and since I like rounding up, so I'd say it's barely a lie at all.

You see, when I did stop eavesdropping on the cute little conversation between my father and my cousin, I decided to haul my ass up into my room to get ready for work and planned on escaping before either men saw me.

Unfortunately, since I was such a seggsy piece of human and my aura was simply addicting, both Cruz and my father greeted me in the foyer, awkwardly might I add, and said they needed to take my car for a drive. I instinctively knew that drive was code for "dodgy business" yet since I was too awkward to say no and demand my father drive his own damn car I only nodded and rushed out the door saying I would walk.

It was an experience I don't intend to do - ever again.

   The whole walking jibe isn't really my thing. It's really unhealthy, yes I'm aware, but since my house stairs are like the steps to hell and my job requires me to stand up and practically dance around the restaurant I think it cancels out all the lazy stuff.

   Tonight would be my last night for walking. Period. I would levitate everywhere for the rest of my life, or maybe even hire a group of bodybuilders to carry me around on one of those fancy boards.

   I sighed wistfully. I could imagine it now. Me eating grapes like cleopatra, waving at bystanders like the queen as my service men sauntered down the pavement with there strong arms as I appreciate the little things in life.

   Like not walking.

Perhaps you think I'm exaggerating when I say I despise walking. I mean it. I really hate it, with a burning passion in my gold gold heart. The thing is, my body always seems to be allergic to the act of putting one leg in front of the other, it either breaks down, turns into jelly, or my favourite, sweats until I am a melted puddle on the floor.

That's what I hate the most.

When my thighs chafe together and burn, when my cleavage becomes Niagara falls and I'm left soaked. It's disgusting isn't it? But then again, it is just the natural processes of the human body - thus, my justification in walking is surely permitted, I just simply want to avoid getting wet and to do so I must stop walking. There, problem solved.

I arrived home in less than fifteen minutes without getting kidnapped, or tripping over my own feet and fracturing my skull.

It would have been quicker had I not stopped to admire a black and white cat sitting obnoxiously on the opposite pavement waiting for me to pet it. It was just...there, staring at me with its keen, green eyes that screamed 'STROKE ME'. Yes, I fully understand what I did there and I admittedly regret thinking it, but I said what I said and it's too late to take it back.

I hadn't even stepped inside the foyer for more than a minute before I was attacked by my mother, who thought it was wise to grab me by my shoulders as I was slipping off my shoes and haul me to the kitchen.

"Mum! You scared the shit out of me!" I exclaimed, as she pushed me into the kitchen. I silenced my next sentence when I saw my dad sat on the opposite side of the kitchen island reading a very old newspaper.

He glanced up, a cigar in his mouth which he instantly rid of upon my entrance. "Hello, darling. How was work?"

I quietly moved toward my seat, as mother dearest excitedly went back to the stove, mixing up something that smelled funky.

"Work was fine." I wasn't in the mood to talk. To him. Especially him.

Dad sighed, setting the paper on the table and I shuffled my tush in my seat. I could feel a 'I'm sorry' talk coming on and I wasn't really up for that currently.

Thus, leaping off my seat with a small jump, I began to back the hell out of this parent-daughter meeting.

"I think I'm going to go shower and sleep," I spoke, looking directly at Mum. "Work was busy today and I'm really tired,"

Mum pouted, that funky smelling concoction growing stronger. It took every face muscle of mine not to outwardly cringe or else my face muscles would no longer work if she witnessed me giving her strange looks.

"Oh, are you sure? I made a new recipe of your favorite soup, it's got chocolate in it," Her excitement alone made me want to drink the whole pot and more, but the presence of an annoying male made me want to barf. Not even the additional chocolate in my soup made me want to barf.

"Sounds...exciting," I glanced at the door handle. "I'll try it tomorrow, I promise,"

Mum smiled in approval and went back to stirring. "I'll save you the best part, sleep tight baby,"

"Night mum," I sent my dad a single nod. "Father."

"Daughter," he nodded back, and in that moment I realized how...mafia he looked. How could I not see it before? I swear these damn glasses...

Gently excusing myself out the kitchen like a well mannered individual, I sighed at the staircase already preparing myself for punishment.

One day, one day I would beg for a lift and I would get one and I would never have to die and revive myself everyday for the rest of my life.