Chapter 3: Polly pocket wears a fedora and has a gun

Chapter 3| Polly pocket wears a fedora and has a gun

***

Never in my life would I think walking by myself was going to be perfectly okay. Walking alone in the dark, across a bunch of alleyways was not fun.

I was walking goddamnit! That in itself was not fun at all.

It made it easier when I began to see the bright neon OPEN sign of the local newsagent on the opposite end of the road glowing across the top of a few cars.

My face lit up in relief at the sight. It had been an awfully long time since I had come to this shop. The first time had been with my mother and the second with my father and Cruz who'd since told me not to come here alone, because it was dodgy.

   I mean, it was just a shop. What could possibly go wrong?

The doorbell chimed as I hobbled into the warm shop, pulling the sleeves of my jacket past my knuckles. I sighed in ecstasy at the heat that spread across my bright red nose and cheeks I'd caught sight of in the security camera, and of course I had to stick my tongue out and send it deuces. It was good luck.

I searched across the space, and proceeded to grab the goods. But my mother's list could wait - I found the sweet section.

My mouth watered slightly.

After almost having a mental breakdown whilst choosing between Jelly Tots and Skittles, I went to go grab everything else on the list. Just so you know I chose both since I was not going to burden myself by feeling guilty of leaving either packet behind. See - smart.

It was when my arms started to almost fall off that I made the conscious decision to go and grab some chocolate chips from the baking section.

I smiled as I made my way past the fridges, a blast of cold air hitting my legs from the fans and I shuddered at the sensation.

Yes, I was still in my uniform. Yes I know how unsanitary it was, but being burdened to do chores in the evening and having a bunch of nosy relatives walk into your room to 'check up' on you whilst you were semi naked was not fun. It happened once - don't ask.

I was mildly aware of the itch that lingered on my skin from the fabric, but with all due respect I was going to have a really nice soak in the bathtub later this evening when everyone had left. It didn't hurt to be an only child with an ensuite. I barely had to leave my room.

I found myself looking at a bunch of sprinkles and birthday candles, completely forgetting what it was I had come here for.

Oh yes! Ze chocolet!

It was suitably a difficult decision picking between a pack of white chocolate or milk chocolate chips. Again, I didn't hesitate to pick up both with a satisfied grin.

This was a shopping trip of a lifetime.

When I approached the man at the till, I became acutely aware of another mysterious man in a long, black double-breasted coat walk up behind me in the queue. I gave him a sidelong glance, the beeping of my items becoming background noise as I studied him.

He wore a black fedora like he was advertising it. To be honest, I was sold. How could one look that charming in a hat. I couldn't really see clearly under the shadow of it. Everything but his nose and lips were visible and I wondered if he could even see me.

My attention slipped to his hands, where he held loosely onto a Polly Pocket magazine, almost as if he picked it up without looking.

I started to sweat a little.