Chapter 10: It could have been a really fat cat

Chapter 10|It could have been a really fat cat.

***

   We closed a little after ten.

   Correction: the kitchen staff closed a little after ten. I was still stuck here with Rachel somewhere in the back. I hadn't mentioned the fun little incident that took place a few hours ago, mostly because I was still partly in shock and denial that it actually happened and wasn't a hallucination. I mean come on, I could have totally dreamt up a tasty Italian man feeding me food. Except well, this one shoved nuts down my throat instead.

   .....................that's what she said!

   Rico forced me to sweep the floors again. Of course I'd done it - begrudgingly - might I add, but I did complain during the whole thing and his only reply was "It's your job, Heidi. I'm paying you for this." Pish posh, I still think it's unnecessary child labour and I threatened him by saying I'd take it to the Union.

   Rico sighed into his palm, flattening out all the receipts from the cash register behind the bar. "Heidi," he said, "complaining about doing your job will get you nowhere. Might I suggest you finish up quickly so we can go home,"

   My reply was to sweep up in slow-motion to prove a point. Sure he's my boss, but he's also dads close friend; the one who sold me his car.

   "Oh and one more thing," he called. "Can you empty out the glass bin for me please? I have to go do a quick stock check in the basement, I'll be back."

   "But-!" My retort was cut off with the slam of a door as Rico ran from my wrath knowing all too well I despise bin duty. "This is the last time I'm doing this!" I exclaimed, putting away the broom and hurling the black bin bag filled with glass bottles into my arms. To be frank (instead of Heidi) my arms were like noodle sticks. It was a miracle I didn't tip over on my face or break my spine as I lifted the load.

   This was the only exercise I'd be doing for the week.

   "Hey Hide," Don't actually do that, that's just my nickname which isn't very practical since I had a mini heart-attack every time someone said it. Like Hide! But where? And why? And how long before I get caught? So many questions. It was Rachel who said it. "I've got to go home, Mia called. Mums gone off on another drunken rampage again and she's alone," I frowned and placed the bin bag on the ground near the back exit before walking over to her.

   "No problem Rach, just text me when you get back," she squeezed me on the arm gently, before clocking out. "Be careful,"

   "I will," she nodded, shrugging on her blue jacket. "Hopefully she's not gone for the kitchen plates again,"

   I furrowed my brows, crossing my arms over my stomach as I kept my gaze on Rachel as she headed to the exit door. "How many times do I have to convince you to come to my place and stay with me?" I said, pity creeping up in my tone. "We have several guest rooms you and Mia could use and you'd be safe, with us. Mum and dad already love you,"

   Rachel sighed, the slump in her stance heavy and the dark circles under her eyes more noticeable since her concealer faded. "I appreciate it Hide, I do. It's just that she's still our mother and I can't leave her. Not like this." She opened the heavy door and sent me a final, tired smile. "I'll catch you later, okay." And she was out.

   I sighed, I was never going to win with her. I did try and persuade her to call child services, but she almost dislocated my shoulder when I began to dial the number. Okay, so I didn't exactly persuade her I simply took matters into my own hands. Plus I did ask her (very very quietly) and she didn't exactly say no, so....