Chapter 35: Maybe it was just acid reflux

Chapter 35|Maybe it was just acid reflux

***

   "So the thing with your parents?" Chris asked, leaning back in his chair like this was some interrogation. It was definitely beginning to feel like one.

   I nodded cautiously.

   "And your dad?"

   "Uh-huh" I hesitated.

   "So no Bahamas?"

   I winced, scratching the back of my head. "Um...no Bahamas."

   Chris sighed, long and hard. "You lied to me,"

   I shrugged. "Look it's nothing personal-"

   "-Heidi!" He rudely interrupted, sitting up and rearranging his ugly cerulean coloured tie which was making me day dream about a certain someone's ugly cerulean eyes. "This whole time I thought you were being serious. I truly felt disheartened at your situation. I still do, but for other reasons. Truer reasons," he said pointedly, looking over his black rimmed glasses at me. "I was even going to withdraw your name from the chemistry fair event,"

   I sat up with a hopeful face. "Oh thank God,"

   "Not anymore, I take it back," he glared.

   I groaned. "Please don't do that, what did I do?" He gave me an "are you serious?" face. "Okay, I get it. I lied, I hurt your feelings blah blah blah. Everyone does it,"

   "You didn't hurt my feelings Heidi." He tutted, clearly agitated. "You coincidentally forgot to inform me that your parents are currently running from the government,"

   I pursed my lips holding up an index finger. "But isn't everybody?"

   He rolled his eyes, shoulders sagging as he leaned back in his comfy chair. "No,"

   "Well they should be. The government is scary,"

   "Heidi, I don't think you understand how complicated this is. You lied about your parents," he sighed done with this conversation. "They're criminals,"

   I glared at him.

   He faltered. "Their people who bent the law...a lot,"

   My glare hardened.

   "Okay...a little,"

   I smiled.

   "We can't have you in school right now."

   I blinked. "What?"

   Chris studied me before typing something on the computer. After a few obnoxious clicks and a little sigh of crappy internet in this "high class academy" he faced the computer monitor to me. I winced at the brightness, no wonder this guy wore glasses. His screen was blinding.

   "You really need to put your brightness down. It's burning my eyeballs," I blinked a couple of times.

   "I like it like this," he grumbled, before tapping on the screen, beckoning me to move forward in my seat and see what the hell he was talking about. "Now read this,"

   "I am," I muttered under my breath. He clicked his tongue at me, but I ignored him. My eyes wandered over the article, I was on the freaking news! Okay well, not my name exactly, just that someone in this article had found out that daughter of missing criminal businessman attends Eastwood Prep. My heart was beating a little too quick, a little too loud. I genuinely thought I'd faint and never come back up again.