Chapter 40: Rest in peace my poor miss Virginia

Chapter 40|Rest in peace my poor miss Virginia

***

The rest of dinner was suffocatingly silent.

Faust had gulped back his drink and swiftly left the room, pinning me with a razor sharp look. I didn't look up from my plate once and when Aurora left through another set of doors on the opposite end of the dining room, Nico took my free hand under the table and gave it a light squeeze, before he took off too. I almost broke down into a fit of tears then and there, but forced them back when I realised Gio hadn't moved from his spot on my right and that would've been awkward as hell.

"He shouldn't have touched you like that," he said in a low voice.

I cleared my throat, placing my cutlery back on the plate I hadn't touched since. "Oh that, that was nothing. I didn't feel a thing. Don't worry about it, Gigi," I didn't want to think about it anymore. But humiliation crept up my neck and face and painted me scarlet.

He gripped his fork tighter. "It's not fucking fine Heidi. He shouldn't have lost his temper like that. He rarely ever does. Figlio di troia,"

(Son of a bitch)

I kept quiet, mostly because the minute I opened my mouth I knew I'd start sobbing and spluttering all over the pretty Italian next to me. He picked up his plate and pushed his chair out roughly.

And in that very Gio way of his, he bent down next to me, pointing a finger at my face and said seriously. "Do not waste another tear on him, you hear me Loser?" Ah, so he saw.

I nodded, fighting back a fresh round of tears as I gazed at the boy. "Okay." Gio using the same nickname as Cruz, made me want to go and throttle my cousin into an aggressive hug. I missed the man-whore.

He nodded once. "Good. Now I've got some shit to do and can't get out of it. Segarsi has got me doing his work for him again." He leveled me with a concerned look. "Are you going to be alright by yourself?"

(Jerkoff)

I bit my lip again to stop myself from gaping and chose to nod. But then I opened my mouth and asked. "Why are you being so nice to me?"

I mean the guy practically hated me until an hour ago. And as much as I wanted to be besties with this glaring asshole, him being nice was a tad bit suspicious.

Gio paused, frowning with narrowed eyes and I let out a nervous laugh. "This isn't the part where you confess your love to me, is it?"

He snorted, before surprising me by ruffling my hair. "You're not bad company, Loser." I stopped myself from squealing by grinning at him like a lunatic. Gio just shook his head and walked towards the door the others disappeared through. Throwing a look over his shoulder as he went.

Nice, at least now I felt less suffocated in this giant mansion. Also my pride swelled - big time. Can you imagine, Giovanni Genovese being nice?! My doubts were still there, but I was too tired to dwell into all that crap. Meh, maybe later during my next impending breakdown.

Several minutes passed and I remained seated at the table. I felt drained and bitter and angry. Faust hadn't hurt me, the grip on my arms wasn't as harsh as I'd expected, but for some reason I still felt like he did. Maybe it was the humiliation thing. No, that only made me pissed. I rubbed at my chest with unease. I didn't like the sensation stirring in my heart and gut.