Chapter 41: That's going to leave a bruise

Chapter 41|That's going to leave a bruise

***

   "So you're not lying?"

   "I swear on my mother's grave,"

   I rolled my eyes at Yuri. "She's not even dead," before grabbing her homemade spring roll and stuffing my face. She gasped at me in horror.

   "You know what, I'll let that go. Only because I feel guilty for going to the party when you were all depressed at home,"

   I deadpanned.

   Yuri put her hands up in surrender. "I literally didn't know okay. It's not my fault. Jam wanted to go right after our train arrived from Paris, and we weren't all that tired so I agreed,"

   I narrowed my eyes at her, just to delay this a little. I loved seeing little miss perfect squirm.

   "Heidiiiiiiii, stop looking at me like that. You're creeping me out," she whined, trying to snatch back her-my spring roll.

   I moved my hand out of reach.

   "What are we talking about. Why's she got your spring roll? I wanted it first," Jamal interrupted, inserting himself into the empty seat beside Yuri. She scowled at him and me.

   "How about I get to eat my own lunch, assholes,"

   We ignored her.

   I decided to test Jamal with the information. "Rachel slept with Cruz."

   His eyes bugged out and the boy shook the entire table. Okay, what a drama queen. I get it. They were innocent. I felt like shit doubting them.

   "Hold the motherfucking fort. Our Rachel?! She did?! Since when?" He grabbed Yuri's water bottle and gulped half the thing down. Yuri grumbled under her breath. I chuckled, handing back her half eaten spring roll. We ceased to exist as soon as it landed in her hands.

   "Well that confirms it. Aurora lied and you guys aren't the most observant people. I will not trust you to babysit my future kids." I sighed, running a hand down my face. Jamal scoffed, "Thank fuck," whilst Yuri made a noise of protest.

"I just, I feel like everyone I know is lying to me nowadays, y'know?"

   Jamal still looked confused. "So we just gonna brush past the whole Rachel sleeping with Cruz thing? Okay cool." Then he decided to bother the freshman sitting a couple seats away from us to go get him a tray of food.

   I rolled my eyes when the poor kid saw the outstretched school ID card in Jamal's hands, before looking at my idiot friend's face sporting a creepy grin. "Grab me a pizza and salad and I'll get coach to put you in as a sub,"

   Ah, football bribery. Nice.

   I ignored him and went back to focus on Yuri, who linked my hand with hers across the table and gave me a concerned look. "I understand Hide. You don't need to explain. I'd be suspicious of everbody too. Hell I'm always suspicious of this dumbass next to me. You too, why haven't you been eating properly these past couple of days?"

   I love her. "Life,"

   She tsked, pulling out a second full spring roll from her lunchbox and handing it to me. "Not good enough. Eat. I don't want my bestie fighting off bad guys with no carbs,"

   I blinked away the mist in my eyes.

   Jamal sent his girlfriend a look of pure betrayal. She kissed him sweetly on the mouth and he instantly forgot. Horny boy.