Chapter 7 Safety

"We're all sleeping in the same room tonight." Phillip stated randomly. He earned odd looks from the eight kids. He began to explain his reasons, "Now, I know that sounds strange, but hear me out. I've just had a weird feeling that something bad's going to happen to you guys. I don't want that to happen."

Unimpressed looks decorated the kids' faces, as if they thought every word that Phillip said was complete and utter bullshit. Phillip sighed, he let his hands fall to his sides in defeat.

"I got a letter. I got a letter that said that you guys weren't safe. I know I'm probably just being paranoid, but I don't want to risk anything." Phillip explained. The kids looked like they understood. Then, Jett spoke up.
"But, like, are you sure that it wasn't just a prank or something? I mean, this has happened before, right?"

"No," Phillip answered, "No, it hasn't happened before. I know we got that one letter about a year and a half ago. But that wasn't even for us." He tensely laughed, scratching the side of his head.

Some of the kids who hadn't claimed the couches or dragged out sleeping bags that were kept under their beds. For some unknown reason.

Jett refused to sleep on the floor. "Why sleep on the floor when there's a perfectly good couch?" She said. Phillip slept in the recliner, and Marie slept on the other couch.

The group of nine were all talking and laughing about random things, even thought they should've been sleeping.

---------- ----------

As soon as April, Marie and the others woke up, Phillip told them to get to work.

"Ahhhh," Jett sighed as she stretched out on the couch and put her hat over her face. "I don't have to do anything."

"Oh, I don't think so, missy." Phillip called out. "Remember that laptop that broke a few months ago?"

Jett groaned, "Yes. Do you need me to fix that, your highness?"

"It'd be nice if you did." Phillip replied. Jett dragged herself off of the couch. She sulked to her room to get dressed.