Chapter 40 Epilogue

"Here's your coffee, ma'am. Have a good day." The young woman said, repeating that statement for the 3,000th time that day.

"Thanks! You too!" The woman across the counter replied, taking her receipt and coffee. She walked away, and the girl behind the cash register sighed.

She took off her visor and wiped the sweat from her forehead. She didn't care if it wasn't mannerly, it was hot in the café.

She quickly put her hat back on, having flashbacks from when she was a kid. Before she could start thinking about her childhood, the bell for the door dinged.

The cashier looked over to see another lady about her age walking to her, being somewhat short. This woman looked uncannily familiar. But she couldn't put her finger on it.

The woman came up to the counter.

"Hi! Is there anything I can get for you today?" The cashier greeted, not being able to take her eyes off of this woman's face. She just looked so damn similar to somebody she used to know.

"Uh hi, yeah I'll take a..." The woman trailed off, a look of realization striking her face.

"Is there something wrong, ma'am?" The cashier asked.

"Jett?" The woman said. The cashier instantly knew who this was.

"April?" Jett replied, taking her visor off of her head. The woman nodded.

Jett quickly ran around the counter, and hugged April.

She hadn't seen April since the War ended five years ago. The entire Vertigo Project had been separated, not having any way to contact each other.

Jett and April began crying. They didn't care if they were making a scene. They were best friends that hadn't seen each other in five years.

"Oh my God," Jett wiped her eyes, looked at April, "So, how have you been?"

April laughed, sobbed a little, then laughed again. "I've been doin' alright, what about you?"

"Oh goodness. I got this stupid job, that's about it. Here, we need to sit down for a second."

The two began to walk over to a two-seater table. They sat down, and Jett immediately began asking questions, "Have you had any contact with the other Vertigo kids, well, people?"

"Heh," April began, "Well, yeah, actually I have. Heidi and Joseph actually got married. That's no shocker."

"I knew it. I told Heidi that she and him would end up together. So, where are you working?" Jett asked.

"Well, I currently work at the Auntie Anne's in the South County mall. But I'm going to college at Jeff Co." April responded. Jett just looked at her.

"What?" April asked.

"I go to Jeff Co." Jett bluntly stated.

"Are you shitting me?!" April yelled. The entire café went quiet, and looked at the girl. Whom smiled nervously.

"No, I wouldn't shit you. You're my favorite turd. Anyways, yeah I'm going for art. I can't believe I haven't seen you around!" Jett said, holding her hands out.

"Yeah, me too. Well, since I'm trying to be a writer, I think we're in separate wings. I don't know." April put her head in her hands.

The two talked about their history together, as well as history without.
One thing was for certain though;

The Vertigo Project would always remain a family.

---------- ----------