Chapter 18 Breaking and Entering

April had successfully made it to the front doors of Genesis. She was almost certain that they were locked. But she stood corrected when she pulled on the handle and the door swung open.

She peeked her head inside, saw nobody. The entrance definitely looked like it has once been a hotel. The front desk had been taken out, and all of the fancy furniture had been removed. They added multiple entertainment devices and gadgets so the kids didn't get bored. But it still looked like a hotel.

April's heart was pounding.
'I hope they don't see me right off the bat.' She thought, taking a couple wary steps into the building. Then, she made a run for it.

Just like in her secret tunnels, her boots clomped on the floors, echoing in the halls. Once April got to carpeted floor, though, they became muffled as she sprinted down the corridor.

It seemed to go on forever. Nobody seemed to run into her or catch her. She felt like she had free reign. Until one shout broke the silence.

"Hey!" A taller boy shouted. April didn't get to see his face since she was running too fast.

"Was that you, Ginger?" He asked, but April didn't say anything. She began to hear him running after her.

'I wonder if the elevators still work. If there are any elevators.' April thought. She ran and turned corners, still hearing the boy's footsteps. It was obvious he was chasing her.

She rounded a corner, and saw a familiar metal door. April saw a metal pad on the wall with the up and down buttons. She pressed the up button, wanting to distract Genesis as long as possible.

"Guys," She whispered into her mic.

"Yes, April? We're here." Phillip responded.

"I've got Genesis distracted. In about three minutes, you might wanna send Jett in." April heard his footsteps getting louder as she quickly stepped into the elevator. She frantically pressed button 8, adrenaline pumping faster and faster each second passing by. The elevator doors began to shut.

Just as the boy rounded the corner, April got a glimpse of his face once the doors shut.

"April?!" Elijah shouted, his voice being muffled by the steel doors.

---------- ----------

Jett immediately got ready to get out of the car. But Phillip stopped her before she could do anything.

"Hang on, Jett. You need your walkie-talkie." Phillip said, digging into the box once more. He pulled out Jett's headset, handed to her, then instructed her as she put it on, "Alright, remember: We're going to tell you where to go, what to do, everything. If we say to abort the mission, you're going to abort the mission. Got it?"

Jett nodded, then looked back at the others.
"See you on the other side." She said darkly, then got out of the car.

"Can I get in front, now?" Akio asked.

"No, Akio. Jett and April need a place to sit whenever they get back. Oh, no." Phillip groaned.

"What?" Marie asked.

"Where's Heidi going to sit?" Phillip replied with another question.

"Marie can sit on her, or something." Jackson suggested.

"I guess that'll have to work. Because it's not like she can go in the trunk." Phillip leaned on the steering wheel, looking out over the now blue horizon.

"Do you think Jett could be in the building by now?" Toby asked, the two boys looking over at him with suggestive looks.

"What? It's a valid question!" Toby insisted, and as if on cue, Phillip's walkie began to talk.