Chapter 8 Education

The day had gone by faster than anybody would've thought. After about four hours, Jett successfully fixed the broken laptop that Phillip had asked for. She spent the rest of her day building random stuff out of scraps she found in her shop.

Toby walked into the warehouse, only to be greeted by blaring music.

From the beat and the rhythm, it sounded like an old band.

"Jett!!" Toby called over the loud drilling and music. Both suddenly stopped. Jett peeked around a corner, and Toby asked, "Could you please turn that down?"

In response, Jett called out, "Sure thing!" And walked over to grab the old MP3 player. She grabbed her black headphones, then put those in her ears.

"What're you listening to?" Toby asked.

"Hollywood Undead! Usual Suspects!" Jett shouted over nothing, obviously having turned the music up too loud.

Then, Jett began to sing, "I think I've lost my mind! I'm feelin' so alive! What a pity, it's so pretty, lookin' through the bars and I see my city!"

Toby just shook his head. He grabbed his welding mask and got to work.

---------- ----------

That night, all of them slept in the same room again. Phillip insisted that they sleep in the living room for the next week or so, just to be sure.

The next day, it was time for school. Every week on Wednesday, Phillip drives all of them to a school so they could learn the basics of math, science, reading and writing, and history. They packed their own lunches, which consisted of just a regular sandwich, a bottle of water, a bag of chips and a bag of grapes.

"Can we take the hover-car?" Jett asked.
"No, Jett. That thing is too old to drive that far. Even having you drive it yesterday was a huge risk." Phillip replied.

"Oh, come on. It'll be fun! It's not like it's gonna explode or anything." Jett said, climbing into the back of the big SUV.

"Jett," Phillip sighed, "It probably will. You never know."

Jett didn't respond as she got squished by April and Heidi on either side of her.
The girls were in the back, guys in the front. And Phillip in the driver's seat.

About halfway to the school, Heidi, April and Jett broke out in song, "Better run, better run, better run, yeah I'm comin' after you. When you're sleepin' at night, yeah there's nothin' you can do. There's no place, you can hide, 'cause I'm coming after you. I wish there was another way aaaaoooouuuttttt, for you. I wish there was another way aaaaaoooouuuuutt for you. I wish there was another way out!"

The guys and Marie all turned to the three, with really concerned looks on their faces.

Then, Toby spoke up "Uuuhhhh,"

"I'm kinda scared." Akio stated, looking to Jackson, who nodded in agreement. Marie did an awkward, "Uh huh," then went back to her phone.

---------- ----------

Right as the SUV pulled into the parking lot of the abandoned school, they all just finished singing a classic: Animals by Maroon 5.

"Oh, Akio, have you ever been to this school?" Toby asked. Akio shook his head. But it did look familiar to him.

"We're a little early." Phillip stated, looking at his watch.

April looked behind them, and saw some other SUVs pull into the parking lot.