(Senpai x loner reader)

It was one of those days where everything could and did go wrong. Y/n was so done with everything with each new assignment they got, the more "mild infuriation" was an understatement. It didn't help that Y/n's classmates were increasingly obnoxious with their mindless banter. Groaning out of frustration, they slung their bag over their shoulder and made their way to the restricted courtyard of the school.

It was off limits for students since the would completely trash the area every time they grouped up there. The principal had enough students turning what was supposed to be an area of peace into garbage littered wasteland.

Looking over their shoulder, Y/n was extra paranoid of people catching them sneaking in. After reaching a tree, Y/n let out a sigh of relief and sat down, leaning against the side of tree trunk that faced away from the school. Pulling out their phone, they scrolled though social media to distract them from the trashy day they were having.

After a few moments of mindless scrolling, there was a rustling sound and Y/n froze. Y/n's eyes widened, their heart practically stopped, and they managed to fall even more silent despite already being silent. Hesitantly looking away from their phone, Y/n desperately scanned the area around them to find the source of the noise. There was nothing. The courtyard was completely empty as far as Y/n could see.

"Must've been a squirrel or something" They sighed in relief, popping in their earbuds, and hitting shuffle so that they would calm down. After all, they were alone at last. Or at least they were alone for a good moment or so.

A huffing noise was getting closer and closer. Someone was running in Y/n's direction. They braced themselves ready for an earful from a campus supervisor about how this is a restricted area. Clenching their fists, they waited for the person to reveal themselves. The running figure darted to the stump of the tree, grasping it for support as they caught their breath. This was no campus supervisor at all.

It was a student. A tall blond male who's uniform was tousled from their run. Their shirt was only half way tucked in, collar messed up, and tie was on the verge of undoing itself. His azure eyes caught sight of Y/n and they froze under his stare. It was Senpai, the one boy who everyone had to have had a crush on at some point. Someone who was in an entirely different league than everyone else. There was no way Y/n was about to embarrass themselves in front of him.

"Oh- sorry I uh. I'll go" Y/n stood up awkwardly, turning to leave.

A hand took hold of their wrist. "Wait."

Y/n turned around to face him "Listen, I'm not gonna rat if you aren't so if that's what you're worried about; don't tell anyone." They explained.

A smile formed on Senpai's face "Oh Y/n I know you wouldn't. I was just gonna ask if you could stay here... to keep me company." he stated with a hint of shyness.

Not only did Senpai know their name, but he was asking them to keep him company while they were alone together in a restricted area of the school. Y/n was in shock, they were sure that they have always been that odd quiet background person who nobody paid attention to. Questions filled Y/n's mind and before they could ask a single one of them, Senpai plopped himself down at the base of the trunk and patted the ground next to him. Obliging, Y/n sat next to him, but left enough space in between the two of you. He seemed confused by this, and slid over to close the space causing y/n to unintentionally blush.

"So, what's got you here?" Senpai asked.

"I... just wanted peace and silence. Too many things happen and I needed a break" Y/n glanced around nervously.

"I see." he replied, running a hand through his fluffy hair. "I'd say the same but alas, I got something better" he gestured to y/n and smiled.

Y/n's cheeks flushed red and they turned their head to look away from Senpai to hide their embarrassment. There was no way he meant that, right?

Noticing this, Senpai gasped dramatically "Whoa do you hate me too Y/n? I completely understand disliking those crowds and same faces everywhere, they can't leave me alone. But what have I done?"

"What?!?" Y/n exclaimed. "Well its not that but I can't say I exactly uh... like you?" Y/n lied.

Senpai continued "And here I was thinking we'd get along perfectly since were nothing like everyone else. What a shame, I was so curious about you too."  He sighed, clearly teasing Y/n.

"Curious? What's there to be curious about me?" Y/n questioned, tilting their head.

Getting face to face with y/n Senpai smirked "Oh like what expression you'd make if I were to tell you what I really think of you." He paused.

Y/n winced at this, anxious as hell. Maybe that lie was too much, maybe Senpai actually hated them- before they could finish their thought they could hear Senpai's soft breathing. He had leaned in as if he was about to whisper something into their ear. The silence was resounding, Y/n was scared for their life waiting for what Senpai had to say. Then finally.

"I love you Y/n." Senpai purred.

Finally able to breathe again, Y/n let out a sigh of relief so big that they practically fell onto Senpai but caught themselves in time. Or maybe it was too late. They had him pinned against the ground after all, and Senpai was looking up at Y/n with an amused and expecting look upon his face.

"I- I..." Y/n trailed off, too much of a flustered mess to process the situation.

"You what Y/n? Oh don't worry, take your time~ After all we have all da-"

Having enough of his teasing, Y/n cut him off with kiss, their first but it was the only way to properly describe how they felt.

Now Senpai was flustered as well, gazing at y/n in adoration. Out of excitement he shot up and pulled them into a tight hug.

"Oh Y/n I couldn't have hoped for a better answer!" he beamed, kissing the top of y/n's head.