Chapter 11

The next morning, Reyn rushed to pack his things into a suitcase. I did some last-minute review of my flashcards. We both rushed to get dressed, I grabbed a croissant off the box on the counter, and we were out the door.

I was dressed in jeans and a white, cropped blouse. Reyn was fitted in a navy suit, with a black button-up underneath. His hand rested on my thigh. I wrapped my arms around his taking in his presence while I still could. Just for a few minutes. He glanced over at me with a soft look in his eyes.

Once we reached my school, he got out of the car. As soon as I stood up when he opened the door, I was engulfed in his arms. My body relaxed into him. I hated that he had to go.

"Stay safe, okay, baby? I mean it, take care of yourself. I'll text you every few hours. And Sylv will pick you up later. Don't forget." He held my face in his hands before pressing a deep, indulgent kiss to my lips. His eyes turned into rich pools of caramel under the harsh sunlight.

"Okay, dad," I responded cheekily while he inputs Sylv's number into my phone and then texted him, so he had my number.

"That's Daddy to you, princess. If we had time, I would remind you. But, alas." He swiftly slapped my ass catching my yelp in another kiss. I looked at him full of indignation. Much to my chagrin, his stoic expression didn't budge.

"I'll miss you, Daddy." I sighed leaning my head against his chest and wrapping my arms around his waist.

"I'll miss you more, babygirl. Be good for me while I'm gone, okay. And call me or Sylv if you need anything. And I mean anything." He emphatically dragged out the last sentence.

"Yes, sir," I said with a salute.

He hummed in satisfaction before reluctantly letting me go and walking around to get into his car. I watched as he began to drive away, sending a quick wave before he stepped on the gas. A feeling of emptiness settled within me already. Like the panic when your mom leaves you at the register at the grocery store. And now it's your turn to pay for groceries but she's still missing, but you have no money. It felt like being abandoned.

Stop being so melodramatic, I scolded myself. You survived without him before, and you can do it again now.

When I walked into the building Tess greeted me immediately.

"Hey bish, what was that dramatic farewell all about?" she teased.

"Reyn is leaving on a business trip for a few days. I'm staying with him by the way." I sulked before informing her.

Her eyes bulged.

"When did this happen?!" Her hand gripped my upper arm in shock.

"Friday."

"Damn girl, you guys are moving fast. He's not playing, is he? I don't think I ever remember him living together with a girlfriend." She perused her memories, briefly lost in thought, her tone dropping off at the last few words. "Anyways you're staying at his place alone?"

"No, Sylv is staying with me. I wanted to ask if you wanted to come over tonight. To celebrate finishing this exam." I suggested.

"For sure! We can order in and watch movies or something...," she bloomed at the thought.

"Yes, let's do it." I agreed as we slid into our seats.

By the time we finished our classes and the exam at the end of the day, Tess and I were exhausted. We agreed that she would come over after an hour or so. That way we could both recharge.

I took a detour to the bathroom before heading out. The inside was so quiet that the slamming of the door behind me was cacophonous. I winced. The linoleum floors and ceramic tiles on the wall reflected the fluorescent tube lights that ran across the ceiling. One of them flickered ominously. The scent of bleach made me slightly dizzy. I quickly used one of the stalls and went to wash my hands.