Chapter 14

Reyn's POV

As soon as I cut the call with her I had a horrible feeling. The worst fucking feeling in my gut.

It stayed heavy with me through my meetings with Liskov and the rest of the legal team. I was itching to get back to Houston.

So when a miracle occurred and fucking drama queen Liskov agreed to the terms of our client's contract, the meeting ended earlier than expected. The universe was on my side. I sighed, releasing some of the tension my body held.

I wasted no time calling Sariah to move my flight up. She stayed on the phone as she searched. I could hear the staccato of her nails clacking on the keyboard as I waited. This entire trip had been a test of my goddamn patience.

Luckily, there was just one seat left on the plane in first-class. Things were going way too well. And that only made me even more nervous.

I stopped at the hotel, stuffed the few things I had laying around the room into my suitcase without even paying much attention, and rushed back out to the driver who was waiting. I had 15 minutes to get to the airport, but the drive was about 25 minutes. I promised the driver, triple the amount if he could get me to the airport in 10. He rolled his eyes, before stepping on the gas. It made me think of my baby.

What kind of cruel joke was it to have me leave the city just when she needed me there the most. If it wasn't for all the people depending on this deal to go through, I wouldn't have considered it for a minute. Honestly, if Sylv didn't offer to stay with her I probably would have forgone it all together. My business wasn't worth her life. No amount of money in the world was.

For the first time, I was thankful for Sylv's sketchy past. It equipped him to protect her better than I probably could. As much as I hated to admit it. That knowledge eased the knot in my stomach just a little bit. But thinking about my idiot friend only ramped that nervousness back up.

I couldn't wait to have her in my arms again. I missed the rosy scent of her hair and the feel of her soft skin under my touch. She was what I had been searching for my entire life in other women but had failed to find. Just when I had lost hope in finding someone perfect for me, there she was.

Little did I know when I saw her catching her breath outside the bar that she would become the center of my world in a matter of days. No, it happened the minute I saw her enter the bar, searching for our table. Though I didn't know it at the time.

She wore confidence like a mask, despite her panic a few minutes before. She made it look effortless but I knew the truth. I watched other men watch her as she passed by them; they whispered to their friends causing a rippled effect of head turns. Their eyes probably held the same desire mine did. I just did a better job of hiding it.

I turned my gaze away as she spotted our table and headed over. I made a deal with the gods at that moment. If she was Tess's friend, like I thought, then I would make her mine. I masked my emotions as Tess got up to greet her and unknowingly sealed my little girl's fate. I smiled to myself at the memory.

The cab stopped abruptly at the departures terminal. I threw a few hundreds at the driver and sped into the airport towards security. I showed the ticket on my phone to the TSA attendant at the expedited pre-check line. He waved me in after what felt like minutes and I rushed through the empty line and handed my ID to the man sitting at the desk. He shook his head at my grimace as he slowly held up the ID scrutinizing the picture against my face. He smiled at me sarcastically.

It took everything in me not to punch his face in. I couldn't afford to be detained. I imagined my princess's face and loosened my tight fists. I didn't want to keep her waiting any longer than necessary. And if the feeling of dread hanging above me like an albatross was any sign, she needed me there sooner rather than later.