Chapter 27

I needed a nap.

Staying up all night yesterday was definitely not the best idea. And just when I was about to leave for home with Oreo, I got a text from my mother. 

She was here. At my apartment. Wanting to see me.

She had called me as soon as my last class was over with a curt, "I'm at your apartment." No hi. No how are you doing, how was your day? Simply an 'I'm here, where are you?'

I hadn't spoken to my mother in months. Maybe not even since I settled in here. Why she decided to show up without any word was beyond me.

Orion sped back to my place and slowed the car at the front of the building. It felt weird to come back here after what felt like months.

As soon as it was safe enough, I threw the door open and ran up the stairs to meet my mother. I made sure to tell Oreo to wait in the car.

My breaths came out in short pants as I bolted up to the second floor. I stopped in front of my door and went to put the key in the keyhole. The door pushed open.

I slowly walked in like a mouse creeping out of the bushes, seeking to avoid a hungry lion.

"Assalam O Alikum [greeting; peace be upon you], daughter."

I shivered at her tone. I was almost mocking.  

"Waalaikum Assalam, Mama," I walked over to where she sat on the couch. She adjusted her hijab before standing to face me.

"When was the last time you were here, daughter?"

Ice filled my veins. The stale scent of uncirculated air was obvious to me when I stepped into the room. A thin layer of dust could be collected from any surface. It had been nearly a month since I moved into Reyn's house after all. Of course she would notice. She was always observing me, waiting for me to screw up.

I knew better than to lie to her. She always saw through me anyhow.

"A month ago," I admitted.

"And where have you been since then?"

"Staying with my boyfriend," I whispered. It sounded foolish even to me. What was I thinking? There was no way she was going to let me stay here. But then again, she'd have to. There was no way to transfer medical schools.

"Boyfriend?" She spat out the word as if she were discarding the pits of those dates she loved to eat.

"And how long have you been seeing this boyfriend?" She sneered, slowly walking closer to me. I was rooted where I stood by the entryway.

"Two months," I lied.

"Two months," she laughed hollowly, "and what? You know everything there is to know about him? You think it's up to you to just go live with some man? One you barely know?"

I stayed silent as her tone inflected upward. She was nearly screaming. Until she wasn't. She took a deep breath and closed her eyes before opening them again.

"I forwent teaching you of our religion so that you could assimilate into this country, Astaghfiru lillah [Allah, forgive me], and instead you choose to throw it in my face like this?" She sneered into my face. Her lips were millimeters away from my nose.

"You know nothing of men. He'll betray you. He'll charm you to him and then he'll cut you down. He'll make you his world and then crush you like an ant." Her eyes glazed over.

"He's not like that, Mama." I pleaded with her.

Her eyes snapped back to mine, focusing again.