Chapter 26

I thought back to this morning as the professor's voice droned on in the background. This class was all about anatomy so I just had to memorize the powerpoints that he provided anyways. Lecturing was just a formality.

I awoke to the aroma of toast wafting through the air. I eased my eyes open once the door opened. Reyn walked in with a tray of food and an apron tied around his waist. I giggled at the image.

He was dressed in his work clothes, a maroon button-up, with sleeves rolled up and black slacks. The creme apron secured around his waist gave off a contrasting domestic impression that I doubted anyone else had ever gotten the chance to witness. He looked kind of like a waiter.

"Go freshen up, baby." he suggested, "I made you breakfast."

I nodded and got up out of bed. I couldn't stop beaming once my back was to him. He must really feel sorry. It almost made me feel bad. Almost.

How early did he get up to get ready and make me food?

After brushing, and changing, I sat on the bed and began tucking into the elaborate avocado toast he made me. Honestly, it was pretty much like guacamole on toast with all the spices and vegetables mixed in. I hummed at how amazing it tasted. My shoulders shimmied a little without my input.

"I'm glad to see you like it." Reyn sat on the bed, moving so that he was behind me. He reached over to the side table to grab the brush that I had left there the day before. I sighed when I felt his fingers and hairbrush alternate between running through my wavy locks. I shivered whenever I felt a finger lightly brush against my back. When I felt something strange scrape against my head I reached back to feel something almost like paper, except that it was cold and gave way to my touch. The petals of a rose. The roses from yesterday. Yesterday.

"How early did you wake up?"

"About 5 am."

I looked over at the time, it was now 7 am, I felt my stomach turn. Even though I had forgiven him, he was still beating himself up over making me feel bad. Funnily enough, it only made me feel worse. We got back home so late last night. He would've only got an hour or two of sleep. How did he still look so energized and lively?

"You don't have to do all this you know. I mean, I really do appreciate it. But I've already forgiven you, you know that right?" I turned around to face him, my hand grazing against the rose that he tucked into the top cross of the french braid he arranged my hair into.

"If I saw you dancing with another man, babygirl, he'd be in a hospital. And I'd be pissed. Your forgiveness only goes to show how much better than me you are. I hardly deserve you." He took my face into his hands.

"You went to such lengths to keep me safe, Reyn. And you do so much to keep me happy. How could I not forgive you for a mistake you so clearly repent for?" I braced my hands on his shoulder as I straddled his lap. I leaned into him to press a kiss on his lips.

Immediately, his strong arms wrapped around my waist, pulling me into him.

I suddenly felt a hand push against mine. I looked over to see Orion slumped across the table in front of us. His forehead rested on his arm and he let out a groan that was barely audible. I poked at his tattoo sleeve which crept up to the backs of his hands.

"Oreo, get up before the professor sees you," I warned. The last thing I wanted was to be scolded by the professor for not taking his class seriously.

"I'm tired," He whined.

"And I was almost kidnapped yesterday," I hissed, "Sit. Up."

"Fair point," Orion grumbled before sitting up. I used one hand to scroll through the powerpoint as the man in front of us pointed to various structures in the brain and explained their functions. I began to make flashcards for myself to memorize the various functions and connections he described.