Chapter 24

Reyn's POV

"I miss you," she whispered in my ear.

I looked into her eyes, smiling. "I have a girlfriend now, and I love her more than anything else." Just thinking about her lifted my mood even though I was currently holding a demon in my hands.

She tilted herself backward, I lurched forward in panic and tightened my grip on her. I wanted to drop her on her head, but I didn't want a case on my hands. I sighed.

Judging from the music, the song was about to end. I glanced over to where my princess was sitting for the millionth time that night. Her spot was empty. Amethyst had been sitting beside her. The last I had seen, the two were whispering. My jaw tightened at the thought of the two girls flirting. Where had they gone? Maybe just to the restroom?

I wasn't even sure if Dani was into girls like that. I made a mental note to ask her. I couldn't imagine what a hard time I would have if she was into guys and girls. Following that train of thought, and the fact that she and Amethyst were missing only set me on edge.

I glided across the ballroom with all eyes on us but the wrong girl in my arms. The next time I glanced over she was still missing.

"Is everything okay?" Natasha asked as the song finally came to an end. I didn't bother answering her as I dropped my arms and immediately strided over to the table I was sitting at a few minutes ago. The table that my babygirl was sitting at a few minutes ago.

"Celui qui s'est enfui," my father lamented feigning tragedy with the back of his hand resting on his forehead. He gave me an excited smile, full of anticipation.

"Where did she go, father? What did you say?"

"I've always told you to learn some french, boy. The one that got away. That's what I said." He waved his hand around as if it were obvious.

"I'm not playing around, father. I will ask you one more time. Where did they go? What did you do?"

"But my boy, it was all you and Natasha. How do you think your dear girl felt watching your faces pressed so close that you couldn't even tell whether Natasha was kissing your cheek? Or maybe when you smiled down at her? Or what about the way you both were pressed together. Ah la trahison [the betrayal]."

My heart tore at what the whole scene must have looked like. Natasha sat in her chair admiring her fingernails. The wench. I then glared at my father for inviting her to this event. His face was the epitome of amusement, however.

"Would you quit the theatrics, father?"

He ignored my question, "That girl of yours is quite a smart one. Saw right through my love for passionate performance. You know what she said before leaving? 'I hope you enjoyed the show, Mr. Sadiq.' Oh, you should have seen the fierce anger in her eyes, and the fire in her words. If I wasn't so amused, I would have been scared."

I cut him off impatiently. "She left?!" If people weren't already watching, my reaction definitely attracted the attention of the few who tried to mind their own business.

"Right through the kitchen, right behind Amethyst." Amethyst would have come here with her father. I looked at the rest of the tables to see her father in conversation with someone else. The seat beside him was empty.

"Poor girl was in such a rush, she even left behind her cute little clutch."

I could've strangled my father at that moment. Though, he only looked more than happy to be pushing my buttons. I opened her clutch hoping not to find her phone in there. The gods must have been laughing at me at this moment because her phone was neatly nestled into the pouch. Fuck.