Chapter 15

*Sexual Content*

I marked it off with stars this time and it continues until the end.. enjoy ;)

The sunlight cast a bright pink glow under my closed eyes. I brought my arm up to shield away the light. My eyes eased open and I winced from the brightness of the sunshine streaming through the windows.

Unease settled within me as I took in the white walls. An incessant beeping noise sounded from beside me. The smell of disinfectant was heavy in the air. A heart rate monitor. An IV drip attached to my hand. My hand wrapped by another. My gaze traveled up a firm, muscular arm. I knew this face; I missed this face.

Reyn.

Yesterday's events filtered back into my porous memory.

The car that I thought was Sylv's.

The searing pain from being cut twice with a knife.

Kneeing that man in the face.

Seeing black.

I must have passed out. But for how long? How was I here with Reyn instead of somewhere with those strange men?

My fingers traced the sharp bridge of his nose. I brushed my fingers through his hair and tried to ease him awake. But that went down the drain when he shot up awake and grabbed my face in his hands. I widened my eyes in response.

"Baby, you're awake," relief was interlaced with surprise.

He reached over to press the call button.

"How are you feeling?" He asked as the nurse stepped into the room.

"Stole the words right out of my mouth." He laughed while taking a glance at my vitals. "The doctor should be around to clear your discharge. Everything is looking good." He said after asking me a few questions to make sure my memory and cognition were intact.

Reyn and I thanked him. Soon after, the doctor came in and signed off on my discharge. Reyn had already taken care of the paperwork the night before so we were free to go. I felt so grateful and itched to offer to pay him back. But I knew he wouldn't hear it so I kept quiet and let him help me out of the hospital after we freshened up.

"I can walk by myself, I'm fine." I insisted.

"Let me help you, baby."

"It's o--" He shushed me and wrapped his arm tighter around my waist, the other hand braced against my hip on the side closest to him. He almost had me convinced I twisted my ankle or something.

We both were seated in the car when I decided to speak again.

"What happened yesterday? How am I here? The last thing I remember, that guy knocked me out..." I trailed off.

"I got there just in time." Reyn supplied. That just made me more confused than I already was.

"I thought you would only get here later in the evening?" He laid a hand on my thigh and squeezed it as he turned to face me.

The hand in his lap made a fist. It was then that I realized just how scruffy he looked. There was light stubble on his face, his shirt had creases and his hair reminded me of my own when I showed up to class without brushing my hair just the day before. For the first time since I met him, he looked less than perfect.

"I knew something was off yesterday. I knew something would happen. So as soon as the meeting adjourned yesterday I got on the earliest flight back. I prayed and prayed that nothing would happen. But thank god I got there when I did." His hand moved up from my thigh to caress the side of my face. I leaned into his touch. After not being able to feel it for days, I was desperate for anything he offered.