13. {all valley}

─── ∙ ~εïз~ ∙ ───

─── ∙ ~εïз~ ∙ ───

the dojo was full of students, all in karate gis. they stood in rows, facing their sensei as he yelled out orders.

"junbi!" johnny called out, "bow." his students bowed at him, "fighting positions."

gioia got into her regular fighting stance, her left foot in front of her right and her fists clenched.

johnny roamed around the room, correcting the flaws in the group's positions, "stabilize your base, hawk. keep your balance, full rotation when you strike."

"yes, sensei!" the boy repeated johnny's punch, "hai!"

johnny stepped over to another boy, and he moved back, "did you just flinch, virgin?" he asked the now frozen boy.

to test out his theory, johnny stepped over to another student and stamped on the floor. just as he expected, the boy recoiled.

"holy shit, we got a room full of flinchers."

"yes, sensei!"

"that was not a question! raise your hand if you've never been punched in the face." johnny instructed.

everyone but aisha, miguel and gioia raised their hands.

"put your hands down." he ordered, "all your lives, you've been avoiding fights so you don't break your nose or lose a tooth. this concussion nonsense. so there's only one solution, and that is before you leave this dojo, each and every one of you is going to take a punch, very hard, to the face."

everyone looked shocked at his words, some of them looked scared.

"miss robinson, sushi, line them up." johnny told the two girls, "unflinch this group."

"yes, sensei."

"are you sure?" gioia asked the man, hesitantly.

"go ahead." johnny demanded before stepping away.

gioia and aisha moved over and stood in front of their targets. the blonde girl gave the boy she was standing opposite a sympathetic look.

"i'm sorry." she mouthed before slamming her fist in his face.

the boy cried out and she glanced away. gioia jogged to the corner of the room and brought the boy a tissue roll. she tore off some pieces and pinched his nose with it.