19. {miguel the champion}

─── ∙ ~εïз~ ∙ ───

─── ∙ ~εïз~ ∙ ───

"the quarter-finals." aisha gaped, "how are you feeling?"

"like i am going to pass out." gioia groaned.

she now had a rib binder wrapped around her chest, helping her and her chest stay upright.

"are you sure you're okay?" aisha asked.

"i am fine." she croaked out, "minor injury - no pain... no gain."

"yeah i know, i mean... you were exhausted before we even got here." aisha elaborated, "you had a big breakfast like i recommended, right?"

"... right."

"gioia?" aisha frowned, "are you sure you've eaten?"

"aisha, i said i am fine!" the blonde girl snapped, immediately feeling guilty after.

"come on gb, you're up next." hawk ushered her to the front before she had the chance to apologise to aisha.

she shuffled over to the mat and gave her opponent a weak smile, returned with a glare.

"and face me. bow. face each other. bow." the referee ordered, observing as they followed his every command, "ready? and fight!"

the boy she was up against somersaulted forward, catching her off guard. he landed in front of her but she quickly swung her leg around, smacking his face with her foot.

"point, barbra!"

excited that her injury wasn't wearing her down, gioia looked up at her mother to give her a thumbs up. however, her mother was speaking to a parole officer. with a frown on her face, gioia peered around.

standing behind the parole officer was none other than fredrico barbusca. the dark haired man gave her a toothy, supporting smile which made her stomach churn.

"ready? fight?"

frozen in shock, gioia didn't see the kick to her leg and then the kick her ribs coming. it was so hard, she could have sworn her nearly binder broke.

"point, smithy!"

gioia laid on the ground, panting in pain and anxiety. her father, that she hadn't seen in years, had come to her tournament.

"sushi! get up!"

"gioia?"

"is she okay?"