53. {kick his ass}

─── ∙ ~εïз~ ∙ ───

─── ∙ ~εïз~ ∙ ───

"and finally... this dojo is making their all valley debut, though you'll recognize a few familiar faces. every year, a new dojo rises up the ranks. does this newcomer
have what it takes to win it all?" daryl announced to the crowd. "please welcome eagle fang karate, led by sensei johnny lawrence and defending champion miguel diaz!"

gioia and her team strutted out from the back room, smoke emitting from behind them. once they were in view, the team jogged over to the mat and joined the rest of the dojos.

"at the end of the day, only one of these dojos can be crowned grand champion." daryl explained. "welcome to the fifty first annual all valley under-eighteen karate tournament!"

the crowd cheered, full of adrenaline and excitement.

"it's karate time." daryl chuckled.

all the teams spread out, their senseis giving them a pep talk. as daniel spoke to him and the rest of miyagi-do, eli glanced over to eagle fang.

he felt odd being back at an all valley tournament with gioia. during the last one, they were on the same team, they were just friends and she hadn't been feeling her best. not wanting the atmosphere to cause her a potential relapse, the boy had taken her to a cafe for breakfast, where he observed her eat an unlimited stack of sweet waffles.

it was johnny's idea to have him take her out for food. turns out, she wouldn't have been allowed to compete if she hadn't had a full breakfast and lunch that day. but eli didn't want to tell her and ruin her mood.

now he knew for sure she had eaten something, he was feeling less stressed out for her. he was even excited for her. eli knew she had been spending her free time at the gym, working on her cardio, or with the gymnastics team, strengthening her flexibility.

"diaz, a word." johnny called him forward, while everyone left to do their warm ups. gioia lingered back, still able to hear them but not in their conversation. "listen, i know what's been going on with you lately."

"you do?" miguel looked up, hope in his eyes.

"you haven't gotten over that little spat with your girlfriend." johnny assumed. "i can totally relate."

any hope miguel had of the man understanding him was gone. "right."

"my junior prom was an absolute shit show. i need you to focus on winning." johnny told him. "you and sam will make up, but she's not on your team and your team needs you. okay? let's get to work."