33. {nature vs nurture}

─── ∙ ~εïз~ ∙ ───

─── ∙ ~εïз~ ∙ ───

gioia marie barbusca hadn't spoken a word in two weeks. she was diagnosed with a mild, traumatic brain injury due to the repeated blows she took to the head.

jack o'malley had been expelled and arrested for assault, he was soon going to be sent to juvie. it was weird, nearly everyone in that school had been fighting each other. but jack had chosen to target gioia and had left her with a severe head injury.

after being released from the hospital, gioia stayed to herself. aisha had moved away, tory was expelled, miguel was in a coma. she failed to utter a word to any of her family or her friends, so they gave her some space.

most of her days consisted of laying in her bed, under her covers, while the tv playing in the background. it was like there was a dark cloud over her head, telling her to stay in bed. her parents always brought her food to eat and she would surprisingly eat it all, she knew that's what miguel would've wanted.

unfortunately, two weeks off school was much longer than she was supposed to have out, so today she had to go back.

"there she is."

"she's back."

"that's his best friend." "who, robby or miguel?" "miguel." "poor girl."

she heard all the whispers coming from her peers as she got her bag checked by the security officers. strolling past them all, she made her way to her locker. as she transferred her books from her bag to the locker, a hand rested on her shoulder.

gioia jumped in surprised, shrugging the hand off of her in fear. but it was just demetri alexopoulos, he wore a comforting smile. she wasn't sure if it was because of jack and his aggression, but gioia slightly distanced herself from her father and male friends.

"good to see you're back." demetri greeted her, studying her appearance. "and everything else is back?"

gioia was wearing a hoodie and leggings, and the choice of clothing reflected her mood, tired. however, her hair was back to just blonde and it was straightened. she had taken her nose piercing out, hoping it would close up. and she was back to being plain, old gioia.

"people have been saying you're taking a vow of silence." demetri continued. "not sure how they know that, but i respect it. i can do the talking for the both of us."

"hey, gioia." mikayla obediah called out as she wandered over to the two. "i didn't know you were back today."

"really? everyone's talking about it."

gioia gave him a look of perplexity.

"by everyone, i mean me... myself and i." demetri corrected himself.

"yeah." mickey nodded in agreement. "i've got english first and i know you're in the class so-"

"how'd you know that?" demetri challenged.