58. {long, long way from home}

─── ∙ ~εïз~ ∙ ───

─── ∙ ~εïз~ ∙ ───

the four hadn't even left encino before guilt began to overcome gioia. so while robby keene had taken a trip to the gas station to purchase some drinks, gioia barbusca gave his father an ultimatum. the two teenagers were sat at the back, a whole seat separating them. while their fathers were in the front, bonding over eighties rock and old movies.

"either you tell robby the real reason why we're going to mexico or i'll just get on a bus back home."

"really?" johnny lawrence scoffed.

"she's right." frederico barbusca shrugged, turning to the man beside him. "i don't think it's fair for him to be deceived, especially because of how tense he and miguel are when they're together."

"he's gonna feel like you're using him for miguel's gain." gioia reminded him. "he should have his own choice."

"since when were you the robby advocate? you guys aren't even friends." johnny shot at her.

"we may not be friends but he's a person, and his feelings matter too." gioia said. "and he's your son."

the bell of the convenience store door jingled and robby stepped out, a black plastic bag in his hands.

"i just can't tell him." johnny sighed.

gioia quickly grabbed her backpack and opened the car door, showing johnny she was serious.

"fine, fine." johnny huffed, stepping out of his side of the car and moving towards his son.

the blonde girl pushed herself back into the car, pulling her seat belt over her body. the two barbuscas watched the father and son interact outside, not being able to hear much as the doors and windows were closed. at first it seemed like an argument, robby was visibly getting angry and annoyed while johnny seemed quite desperate. then it was calmer, robby seemed sad and gioia wondered what on earth his dad had said to him. without another word, the two entered the car again.

"everything okay?" fred asked.

"yeah." robby grumbled, his eyes out the window.

"can we put some music on?" gioia asked.

"ooo, good idea!" fred agreed, reaching for the aux. johnny pushed his hand away and the man retaliated by smacking his arm back. "fleetwood mac?"

"how do you know-" gioia started. that was her favourite band.

"who do you think introduced you to them." fred scoffed. "stevie nicks wrote silver springs about me."