49. {devon lee, protégé}

─── ∙ ~εïз~ ∙ ───

─── ∙ ~εïз~ ∙ ───

"here's the thing-" "we wanted-"

"you go."

"no, you."

"someone should go." miguel sighed.

"yeah. before it gets awkward." gioia agreed. her talk with terry silver still had her really rattled, her head wasn't in the right place. but after miguel had rushed to her house and told her what he had found out, she was beaming with joy.

now, in the diaz's living room, gioia and miguel were sitting in a love seats each, while johnny and carmen diaz were sat beside each other on the couch opposite them.

johnny glanced at carmen. "why is she here again?"

carmen smiled, she thought of the girl as a daughter. the same way bianca treated miguel like her son. the two mothers bonded through their children's friendship, and their shifts at the hospital. "come on, she is family."

"yeah, johnny. i'm f-family." gioia taunted, sticking her tongue out at him.

"fine, fine." johnny groaned, "so your mom and i are hooking up. not just hooking up. uh, you see, when two people-when two people are... attracted to each other-"

"we get it, you guys are dating." miguel cut him off.

"yeah, we're dating. yes."

"yes." carmen sighed. "we didn't mean for you to find out like this."

"no. we were waiting for the right time and place." johnny agreed. "we wanted to take you to a nice restaurant, break the news somewhere nice. a chili's or a marie callender's. a red lobster."

"wow, so nice." gioia teased.

"shut the hell up!"

"johnny!" carmen scolded, turning to the man.

"what?" the man groaned. "she is such an asshole to me."

"she's seventeen." carmen reminded him. while she wasn't looking, gioia stuck her tongue out at the man. when carmen turned back, gioia's face changed into a sad smile.

"yeah, i'm just a kid." she sighed.

"exactly." carmen agreed, glancing over at her son. "miggy, are you okay?"

"yeah, i'm fine. uh, i think. surprised. but also not super surprised." miguel explained. "i would have chosen someone with, uh, better food in their refrigerator." they all laughed. "but other than that, sensei's a good guy."

the two adults glanced over to the other seventeen year old. she had a pondering look on her face, as if she had to think hard before speaking. "i think this great. you guys are cute together."