Eleven

Teddy's POV

I woke up with a splitting headache and had to run straight to the bathroom to throw up the contents of last nights solo drinking party. It got me to sleep so it was slightly worth it. Soon enough, I crawled back to bed and checked my phone. The date indicated that it was day 10. 

10 days since I last saw Meredith Grey. 10 days since I failed her. 10 days since she has disappeared. 

I knew I had to keep my promise to Arizona so today is the day, we talk to the chief. The same man who has lost the closest thing he has to a daughter, because of me. 

Today is going to suck. 

Arizona's POV

I catch Teddy walking in and practically jump on her, knowing that today is going to be tough. She doesn't look okay, she's really pale. 

"Teddy. What's up?"

"Oh, uh, I just don't want to tell Richard how it's all my fault that Meredith is missing. I didn't sleep well."

My heart breaks for her. She really blames herself. 

"Let's go find him." I say, I tried to sound optimistic but it sounded so monotone. This is not going to be an easy conversation. 

We walk up to the chiefs office and knock on the door, we see him putting away some pillows and a blanket. I think he has been sleeping here in the office. If only Meredith saw how much her disappearance has affecting everybody. When he sees us he nods to allow us to come in.

"Sir.. Chief Webber.. Richard." I tried to start but, this man really makes me nervous. 

"What is it Robbins?"

"We need to tell you something about Meredith." I can feel Teddy shaking on the spot as she speaks.

Richard looks up and his eyes narrow. I am sweating. This man is scary when he is angry and I have authority issues so it makes it worst. 

"On the day she went missing.. well no.. it was a few days before. We was scrubbing out and I saw.. You see, when I came back from the war, I wasn't well and.."

"Altman. What do you know about Meredith?"

"She has, uh, she has an eating disorder and has been cutting herself. For years but particularly this past year. She confirmed it all on the day she went missing."

"She, what? And how do you know? AND WHY ARE YOU ONLY JUST TELLING ME NOW?!"

"I didn't know what to do. We've been calling her all day, every day. I thought if I told people and then she came back, she might disappear again after finding out everyone knows."

I look over to Teddy, her eyes are holding back the tears like strong soldiers. 

"I'm so sorry, sir. I don't know if she's ran away or if she was taken. But that was the last conversation I had with her. I had my suspicions a few days before and she then confirmed everything and then she left. Chief, I'm sorry. I'm so, so sorry."

Richard got up and walked over to Teddy and squared up to her. 

"Are you sure?" Teddy nodded to the chiefs question.

"Alright, we need to page Derek and Bailey. You can tell them everything you told me."

Within minutes both Derek and Bailey arrived, I suppose if they had an urgent page saying Meredith they might of ran up here.

"Altman. Tell them."

Teddy, still holding back tears, proceeded to tell them about the last conversation she had with Meredith along with the few days before that.

"You knew she was ill? and YOU NEVER SAID ANYTHING." Bailey started.

"I'm so sorry, I messed up." The tears are free flowing now. "I'm so sorry. I'm so sorry."

"No, that's not good enough. She could be dead and it's all your fault." 

"Derek, that's too far." I had to interrupt the hatred that was being aimed at Teddy. "We've both tried to get in contact with Meredith several times, every day. To be fair, she did break up with you because you couldn't keep you're mouth shut. We both thought if we told people and then she came back, she would be mortified knowing that everybody knew her secrets."

I went over to Teddy and gave her hug as she is still crying. I think she's held it all in for the last 10 days. It's strange, she feels smaller in my arms. 

"All we can do is tell the police now we have this new information. She's classed as a vulnerable person so hopefully, more action will go into finding her." Richard said after a few moments of quiet. 

Everyone nodded, and slowly left. 

"Altman, Robbins. I understand." Richard said just as we was go through the door. 

As we walked away from the chiefs office, I gently guided Teddy into an on-call room.

"Are you okay?" I asked her.

"It's just.. she could be dead. It's my fault. We should of done that days ago like you wanted."

"It was a tough call to make. Pros and cons on both side. Derek will come round."

"I've ruined everything."

"Have you been looking after yourself? You're pale, shivering, emotional - and you're never emotional - and you look thinner."

"How can I look after myself? Every time I try to sleep I see her body, dead in a ditch. I've drank every night, just so I can fall asleep with no dreams. I don't deserve food. I don't deserve anything because I killed Meredith Grey!"

"No, no you didn't. She's alive. She's just missing. Let's go back to my place. You're not staying on your own tonight."

From that, we grabbed our stuff and left the hospital. We can make up the hours another time. Teddy is convinced that it's her fault. I'm her best friend. I should of checked in on her sooner. 

We walked through the door of the apartment and Teddy sat on the couch. 

"Alright, I'm just going to get changed. Stay there, Wartime Barbie." I said, it didn't sound nearly as upbeat as I wanted it too.

Meredith's POV

Between laboured breaths, I got my phone out. 

"T.. Teddy? I need your help. Please."

The line went dead. I think I may of messed up.

Oh no, Teddy is struggling, but Meredith has made contact :D