Thirty Eight

Meredith's POV

I've been in this hell hole for three weeks now and I've been moved up a less restrictive treatment plan because I'm improving. Everyone is so proud of me, they tell me every time they visit. It's actually kind of annoying, especially as I know the truth. They're just glad I'm getting fatter and therefore less of a problem, but I've got plans for when I leave which Dr Wyatt says will be in about a week if I keep up the progress that I'm making. 

Lunch is due to be served soon and I'm allowed to have it in my room, unsupervised. This is apart of my treatment plan as well. They want to match my current environment with the world that I will be re-joining which means I won't always have someone with me to watch me eat so I have to prove I can eat on my own. I won't lie, it's a scary thought but I want to leave this ward as soon as possible. 

"Thank you, Sally." I say with a smile as a nurse brings my lunch in. It's a sandwich, lunch is always a sandwich just in different forms. Sometimes it has meat, sometimes it's vegan, sometimes it's toasted. That's another reason to leave the ward, for a little bit of variety with meals!

As soon as she is out of sight, I take a bite and I am flooded with thoughts. I've gotten too fat as it is and this is my perfect chance to get a head start on my plan. It'll be easy to hide it. I look at the clock, I've got about 7 minutes before a nurse comes back to take my tray so I need to hurry up. 

I find the perfect spot and hide it, just in time too because as I sit back down Sally arrives "Well done Meredith, Dr Wyatt will be in soon.". She takes the tray and I breathe a sigh of relief. 

Dr Wyatt's POV

"So, Meredith. You did you're first unsupervised meal? How was it?"

"It was difficult, as soon as I started to eat, loads of negative thoughts came back but I pushed through because I don't want to live with this eating disorder anymore."

"That's incredible to hear Meredith. Which is why I propose we bring forward your discharge."

"Oh?"

"I want to discharge you tomorrow. You've shown tremendous strength and courage the last three weeks. You've worked with me in therapy really well and you're currently at a healthy weight."

"So, I can leave?"

"Yeah. I'll go and call Derek now."

I get up to leave the room. Meredith is in a state of shock. 

"Hello, Derek?.. Hi, it's Dr Wyatt. Meredith's doctor.. No, no she's fine. She's great actually. I've decided to bring forward her discharge date. Can you pick her up tomorrow at 3pm?.. Yeah? That's brilliant. Thank you. Have a great day. Bye."

Derek's POV

Oh my god, I can't believe it, Meredith is finally coming home. She's done so well recently and must of exceeded even Dr Wyatt's expectations if she's brought her discharge forward. I'm so proud of her. I page everyone everyone else who is involved in Meredith's recovery and let them know.

- The Next Day -

I woke up really early and tidied the house. I know Meredith won't care if the house is tidy but I want everything to be perfect for her. I run to the grocery store to buy the essentials, I don't want to overwhelm her with too much food in the house but I also don't want to trigger her by having no food in the house. I'm so excited!

I'm paged to the hospital as there is a trauma coming in, a bad multi-vehicle accident and the guy who was driving is in bad shape so I have to do surgery on him. I'm really in the surgical mindset when I'm reminded of the time.

Crap! It's 3pm. I can't leave the guy open and exposed on the table.

Teddy and Cristina are both in the room operating on this guys heart and Richard is navigating around them to operate on his liver. 

"Someone page Dr Bailey and ask her to pick up my wife. Make sure you say please! Bailey scares me.."

Bailey's POV

I'm in the pit when a nurse comes over to me, "Um, Dr Bailey?"

"Yes? Well? Spit it out."

"Dr Shepard is st-stuck in surgery and has asked if you could pick up his wife. Please. He said please."

"Eugh, that man.." I walk off to get changed out of my scrubs. 

When I'm back in my regular clothes, I make my way up to the psych ward which I've gotten use to the past three weeks. 

"Hi, I'm here to pick up Meredith Grey. Derek couldn't make it, he's stuck in surgery."

"Right this way. I believe she's still packing." It's always the same unfriendly nurse who directs me to Meredith's room. 

She knocks on the door and allows me to walk in.

Meredith looks at me and smiles, slightly craning her neck to try and find Derek I bet, "He's stuck in surgery, Mer sorry."

"That's okay. I'm just finishing and then we can leave."

"Here let me help you."

As I walk over, I notice there's a really bad smell coming from her bag. I know it's not her laundry as they have a service here so I start to unpack her bag.

"No! Stop that! Bailey, I said stop!"

Then, I see it. A couple of meals stuffed at the bottom of her bag.

"I can explain."

"You better."

"It was only yesterday's meals, I promise. I had my first unsupervised meal. I just wanted to see if I could and I did you know."

"And last night?"

"I couldn't face it. I knew I had already hidden lunch. It's like the demon had already gotten inside of me. Dr Wyatt had already said she wanted me to go home so I couldn't say anything because then they would all think I was making it up, but look there's no other food. I've ate everything I've been given today." Meredith's crying at this point.

"So you should of." A new voice joins the room.

We both turn around and see Dr Wyatt in the doorway.

Ooh, Dr Wyatt knows Meredith hid her food!