Eighteen

Meredith's POV

Eurgh, my head.

Trying to remember last night hurt my fragile head.

Tequila.

Damn tequila.

I bought my legs round to the edge of my bed and very quickly noticed I was not dressed.

Oh, shit.

I curl round to grab a sheet from the top of my bed and see the dark haired man, his face was facing down into the pillow. Who is that? Did I know him?

I walk into the bathroom and lock the door. Turn on the shower and step in. If the guy had any decency, he would know to disappear when I got out.

I try to stay in the shower for as long as I could but between the throbbing pain my head was giving me and the fact that I was extremely late to work, I knew I had to get out. I unlocked my bathroom door and he was sat there. Fully dressed, sat on my bed.

"Derek." Well, at least it wasn't a random guy I suppose.

"Painkillers?" He said holding out 2 tablets in his hand. I take them because my head really did hurt. How much did I drink last night?

"Thanks."

"We need to talk about last night." Derek starts to walk over to me.

"No we don't. But we do need to go to work. Are you coming with me or driving yourself?"

"I'll drive myself I guess." He looked hurt. Jeez, it was a one night stand. What's the big deal?

My head is hurting so bad, I need to find Cristina soon to get a banana bag so as soon as we get to the hospital I run to find her.

"CRISTINA. Can you put this IV in??"

"Mer? Are you okay?"

"I'm fine. Overdid it with the tequila last night and I'm still feeling it. Oops."

"No, Mer. Are you okay?" She said it more slowly and started straight into my eyes.

"Yes Cristina. I'm fine, hungover. Me and tequila go way back."

Something changed in her. Pain? No. Annoyance? Yes. I think she's mad at me. Was she mad at me for drinking last night? She can't say too much, she drinks just as much as I do.

"You mad at me for something, Cristina?"

"Nope."

Oh yeah, she's mad. Her whole voice and personality has changed.

She finished what she was doing and left. I got my banana bag attached and got myself set up in an on-call room. I did some patient charts and had a nap.

Derek's POV

I could barely focus during rounds after last night. I pretty much let the interns take over, which they loved. It's one of the best things about working in a teaching hospital, the lower the student is on the surgical food chain the more eager they are. It basically means they would do my entire job if I allowed them too. I'll have to re-read a few notes later because I don't think I can even remember the patients name.

"She's drinking now as well?"

Cristina, Meredith's twisted sister, came storming up to me.

"What's that?"

"Meredith. She's drinking. Did you know?"

"I picked her up from Joe's last night, she was pretty wasted after thirty minutes. She was knocking tequila back like it was water."

"She in the on-call room on three with a banana bag. Why are we pretending that nothing is wrong when we know shes falling apart?"

"I'll go talk to her. We was told not to say anything so that's what we're doing I guess."

"Ridiculous." Cristina walked away again. Cristina always makes her feelings known to people, the exact opposite to Meredith.

I go to the on-call room that Cristina said I'll be able to find Meredth in and knocked on the door and went in.

"Hi." She looked so small. I wonder when she last ate.

"We need to talk about last night. I can't work until we do."

"It was just sex Derek."

"It's not that, that I wanted to talk about."

"Then what is it?"

"It's.. it's just.."

"Well?"

"You."

"What about me? If you bring up my drinking Derek, you can leave right now."

"Your drinking doesn't bother me. I mean it does but I've gotten use to it."

"Eurgh, then what is it?!"

"Your stomach! Your skin! Meredith, you're sick."

Meredith opens her mouth and then shuts it. All the colour runs out of her face.

"I'm fine." She whispers, barely audible.

"No you're not."

She stands up, and drops to the floor less than a half a second later.

I open the door to yell in a very occupied hallway "CAN I GET A GURNEY IN HERE NOW?!"

The night between Meredith & Derek wasn't so perfect and now things aren't looking good. Thank you for all your support!!